facebook

after quickfix, ‘Unable to create part’ error for JSP

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Riyad Kalla

Please send it to support@genuitec.com

#213679 Reply

sevensoft

Adding a src/web (with WEB-INF, etc under there)

seems to have fixed the issue.

The only thing that i’m experiencing now is that it takes a -long- time to build, because it spends forever on the JSPs.
    Since I wasn’t even compiling them before, now that i am, it seems to be a much longer process.
    No problems with that really, just used to having it build the workspace in a second or two.

thanks for all the quick replies.

#213680 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I’m officially confused… but glad its working.

Also as scott mentioned, you can turn off validation for JSps and it will stop compiling them. Compilation does take a while 🙁

#213685 Reply

sevensoft

I just tested that. It works great. And it looks like it still shows the issues (if any) for the page while you are editing it.
    That’s mainly what i want, I don’t need it to compile and validate when building the workspace.

and for you rkalla (didn’t mean to confuse anyone):

In Java Build Path, under source I added src/web. This contains my WEB-INF/jsp folder and other stuff under there.
    By doing that, it enabled your code that parses the import statement:

<%@ include file="/WEB-INF/jsp/sstiles/common-includes.jsp" %>

to find /WEB-INF/jsp/sstiles/common-includes.jsp

Before it was blowing up because it had NO IDEA where to look for that file, since I didn’t have a WEB-INF folder the root of my project.

Now, i’m still getting the marker on the right that says ‘Unknown tag (tiles:getAsString)’, which is what i thought the quickfix was for.
    Perhaps with me not using ME we-capabilities its causing issues? ?

who knows. at least its not blowing up anymore when i open the file with QF2 installed.

#213701 Reply

sevensoft

When you guys CTRL-click the file=”/WEB-INF/jsp/sstiles/common-includes.jsp” on the <%@ include file=”/WEB-INF/jsp/sstiles/common-includes.jsp” %> does it open for you?

I get the same ‘Unable to create part’ message. I suspect that is having something to do with the markers on the right saying that they can’t find the tag.

Also, do you all use the ‘web capabilities’? Does that, and the way its configured have anything to do with the way the editor finds files?

Thanks (for all the patience)

#213703 Reply

Riyad Kalla

There are some issues with the finding of files right now, so even in a valid web project the ctrl-click sometimes doesn’t work for me, but we will fix that.

As far as the webcaps go, let me ask the dev working on that to what extent its ‘important’.

#213710 Reply

sevensoft

oh no. after installing QF3, its giving me the unable to create part message again.

i’m going to create a new ‘small’ project and see if i can recreate the problem

#213713 Reply

sevensoft

Ok. I can re-create it.

I went thru creating a couple files, and putting some jar files in lib folders and adding them to the build path library. Created a jsp and started typing in <%@ include file=”/WEB-INF/jsp/common-includes.jsp” %>
    It started having issues after file=”
    As soon as I typed the / it didn’t show up, then i continue typing the WEB-INF, the / appears after the WEB-INF. Just funky behaviour in general.

So i thought, well. Maybe this is more simple than i thought. So try this and see what results you get.

I created a brand new project in the default workspace.
    I created a directory <src>
    I created a directory <src/web>
    I created a directory <src/web/WEB-INF>
    I created a directory <src/web/WEB-INF/jsp>
    I created a file <src/web/WEB-INF/jsp/JspWithIncludes.jsp> (even used the J2EE/Web/Jsp template)

Started typing <%@ include file=”/ and the same strange behavior starts happening.

*baffled*

#213716 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hey! I was able to recreate that problem instantly, I”ll file a P1 bug report and attach my test project to it, thanks for helping run this down.

#213723 Reply

Riyad Kalla

seven,
    I asked about the webcaps and it essentially provides context for ME to resolve taglibs and the like correctly, so if this is something you need it will probably clear up any problems you are having, other than that, you should be fine the way you are once we get this bug fixed.

#213724 Reply

sevensoft

Phew! Glad you could re-create it.

I even went so far as to completely install a fresh copy of eclipse 3.0, manually install ME 3.8.1, and ME QF3.
    Same problem.

As far as the webcaps. I’d rather not use them.
    1 – personal preference. 2 – our file structures wouldn’t be compatible.
    We always structure our files in a src/web/WEB-INF/jsp (for all our projects), and it will drive me
    nuts if i have to see those yellow ‘Unable to find tag (c:out)’ markers all over the place.

So i guess i’m saying that if the bug is fixed, at least it’ll be workable, i’ll just have to make the decision to put up with the markers, or rearrange our source so that i can use webcaps. (Unless you can tell me a way to make the taglibs resolve without using webcaps) 😉

thanks again for trying to reproduce the problem, i’m sure you thought i was crazy, or doing something wrong. 🙂

bedtime for me, might be able to sleep now.. 🙂

#213725 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The way you have your project setup now should actually be fine with adding webcaps (but double check it first on a dummy install).

1) Dir structure
    Project root: /
    Java source: /src/java
    Web root: /src/web
    Output path: /src/web/WEB-INF/classes

2) Add all libs from /src/web/WEB-INF/lib to your build path

And that should do the trick… unless there are some other dirs that make it more funky…. web caps are also nice because then you can do deployment and debugging whcih can come in handy, not to mention the Struts tooling, hibernate and DB explorer integration.

#213745 Reply

sevensoft

I don’t like this part:

Output path: /src/web/WEB-INF/classes

I don’t want classfiles and other junk going -anywhere- into my src tree.

src is exactly just that, not output.

I know everyone has their own way of doing it and their own opinions, but that’s mine.
    I have a target(or build) directory that everything gets compiled into. So before i deploy,
    you would see basically the whole webapp built in the target dir.

But thanks for the advice tho. I’ll play around with it.

#213760 Reply

Riyad Kalla

While you are easily set your output path to something else, I’m not sure what having the project in a non-exploded-WAR format will do, certainly deployment won’t work correctly. However when we get some more flexible project structure support in, this should stop being a problem and you’ll be able to have any dir structure you need. Although I don’t have a timeline for this.

#213912 Reply

I’m seeing this also. I have a particular setup. We have multiple modules and each module has its own web stuff. The directory structur looks a bit like this:

module1/
    module1/code/java/packages
    module1/code/java/resources
    module1/code/web/WEB-INF
    module1/code/web/en/<english>.jsp
    module1/code/web/fr/<french>.jsp
    module1/output is the output directory

All the modules have this. I can’t change the structure. Am I doomed?

L

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
Reply To: after quickfix, ‘Unable to create part’ error for JSP

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in