facebook

Can’t open MyEclipse start page (and didn’t want to)

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

coxbr02

once again, this is RHEL, so I doubt very much that pulse-explorer.exe will run on it. There is no pulse-explorer* in my myeclipse install dir. Also the web site you pointed me to is either broken using FIrefox 3 or there are no pulse-explorer’s that will run on Linux (the download page shows me nothing but a big yellow }

#301634 Reply

support-joy

I have escalated this to our dev team members. They will get back to you shortly.
    Sorry for the inconvinience.

#301654 Reply

coxbr02

I’ve downloaded and installed 7.1.1. It works better than 7.5 but when I try to install a plugin (for perforce), it 1) identifies itself as 7.5 and 2) tries to download the 7.5 myeclipse — and I know that that doesn’t work.

This has been going for > 1 week now and I need you folk to either fix 7.5 or given me a prior version that will work on RHEL

My company pays for this software and it is unacceptable for you to take so long to resolve this issue

#301678 Reply

support-joy

coxbr02,

Are you looking for perforce eclipse plugin? Is it the same as mentioned here – http://www.perforce.com/perforce/products/p4wsad.html ? If yes, under installation it mentions 2 ways to add the plugin –
    1. Using the Help > Software Updates > Add/Remove Software > Add Site and add the link provided. (I think you must have tried this option). There is an existing issue with base eclipse where it tries to update to the latest MyEclipse installation.
    2. A zip file for local installation. This will give you .zip file when you unzip the same, it will give you plugins, features and site.xml

Please use the 2nd option and extract the contents to [MyEclipse installation dir]/dropins folder. Restart MyEclipse and you should be all set.

#301702 Reply

Steve Prior

This support topic kinda got taken over by coxbr02 – I’m still very much waiting for a clearer response to what exact version of RHEL you are/will be supporting so we can get back to a working version. While this forum account is tied to my own personal license for MyEclipse, I’m asking this in support of my office’s multi-seat license.

#301708 Reply

coxbr02

I tried what you suggested and it doesn’t work. I also tried putting the zip file in the dropins dir and that didn’t work either. So far, I haven’t got much help…

#301714 Reply

support-joy

sprior,

As Riyad mentioned in his earlier post the exact version of RHEL which will be supported by ME is a management decision. Your query is put forward to the management and we will get back to you on this. Sorry, I don’t have any more information on this right now.

#301715 Reply

support-joy

coxbr02,

You need to unzip the zip file contents into dropins folder. May I recommend you to create a new post and refer to this thread. MyEclipse doesn’t provide an integrated support for perforce. Can you please verify that the perforce plugin supports the base eclipse version? For e.g if your MyEclipse version is 7.5 then the base eclipse version is 3.4.2. Please check if your third party plugin is compatible to that of the base plugin. Can you attach screenshot of what you have done so far and please mention in detailed steps you have taken to update this plugin. To send screenshots, you can click on the [PM] button. Please refer to this thread.

#301742 Reply

Riyad Kalla

coxbr02,

Someone should have picked up on this earlier, but the problem was never your MyEclipse install, the problem was in the log contents you posted a few days ago, specifically:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui.ide 4 1 2009-08-18 10:13:42.721
    !MESSAGE Problems occurred while trying to save the state of the workbench.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 568 2009-08-18 10:13:42.721
    !MESSAGE Could not write metadata for ‘/com.wily.apm.tess’.
    !STACK 0
    java.io.FileNotFoundException: /home/bcox/source/current/src/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.core.resources/.projects/com.wily.apm.tess/.syncinfo (Too many open files)

This happens all the time on Linux + Eclipse-based apps. Eclipse loves bundles and to have an app start up,especially an IDE, and open 10s of thousands of files, on most Linux system’s we’ve seen in the last few years the max file handle count is set too low and Eclipse starts failing to open it’s own bundles.

In the case of loading MyEclipse and then setting a target platform to develop with, you are talking about an enormous amount of files opened. Luckily the solution is in our FAQ and very easy to follow:
    https://www.genuitec.com/forums/topic/troubleshooting-how-to-fix-too-many-open-files-on-linux/

As for the last behavior you were seeing with trying to install Perforce through Pulse and being forced to accept the MyEclipse 7.5 update, that’s a p2 bug that we unfortunately inherited and haven’t patched in the platform yet — no updates can be veto’ed, so you get *Everything*.

Joy’s workaround of using the /dropins folder to avoid that is exactly right… or just go back to MyEclipse 7.5 with the open-files fix and add Perforce there.

#301759 Reply

coxbr02

Please read this carefully (I said this in my previous post):

1. I tried unziping the perforce plugin in the dropins folder and it did NOT work

do you have another suggestions?

#301852 Reply

Loyal Water

Can you please verify that the perforce plugin supports the base eclipse version? For e.g if your MyEclipse version is 7.5 then the base eclipse version is 3.4.2. Please check if your third party plugin is compatible to that of the base plugin. Can you attach screenshot of what you have done so far and please mention in detailed steps you have taken to update this plugin. To send screenshots, you can click on the [PM] button. Please refer to this thread.

You could try this. Perforce is not officially support by MyEclipse and I have not worked with perforce to provide you any further help with this. Maybe some other users on this forum could help with this issue.

#302001 Reply

coxbr02

I’ve simply quit using myeclipse and switched to eclipse only. The perforce plugin works fine with 3.4.2. I don’t get any “too many open files” messages. etc etc. I think that it is a travesty for you to have a download for 7.5 for RHEL when it simply has so many problems with RHEL4 as to be worse than useless. I can’t imagine that you tested it under RHEL4.

#302051 Reply

Riyad Kalla

coxbr02,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve left MyEclipse. If you decide to come back in the future and run into the “Too Many Files Open” error again, I’d strongly suggest trying the fix I linked to in my post. While a plan Eclipse Classic install + Perforce may work fine out of the box, as you install more and more plugins you are just going to end up running into that problem again anyway, so having that workaround bookmarked incase you do is handy.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Reply To: Can’t open MyEclipse start page (and didn’t want to)

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in