facebook

Compatibility between myEclipse,tomcat,jboss [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

robinsingh

couple of newbie questions ,kindly bear with me guys but i need your help on this matter :

official jboss.org site says under its packages table
    jboss-3.2.5.zip
    (includes Tomcat 5.0.26 JBossWeb HTTP server and JSP/Servlet engine, EJB, CMP2.0, JCA, IIOP, Clustering, JTA, JMX and more)

Does this mean that the Tomcat Servlet/JSP engine is integrated into jBoss
    inherently and any J2EE application that i will develop using jBoss application server will use Tomcat as the servlet/jsp engine and jboss as the EJBapplication server.
    and Does this also mean that since myEclipse extends full support to jBoss,it also fully supports Tomcat webserver/servlet-jsp engine.

I am making sure on this , coz I have already wasted quite a lot of effort and time trying to use Sun application Server 8.0 with myEclipse and its directory structures and deployment techniques seem to be pretty different than what is compatible with myEclipse .

and for this purpose I intend to use the following O’reilly books :
    Java Servlets and JSP cookbook –>(using tomcat)
    Enterprise Javabeans 4th edition—>(uses jBoss)

Iwould really appreciate any expert comments/advice from developers who have worked/used these products while working on myEclipse platforms and found them of Use.

Regards
    Robin

P.S I am quoting MODERATOR :RKALLA on this regarding one of my Questions that i had while making Sun App server8.0 work with myEclipse
    regarding the difference in directory structure they have !!

I have no experience with Sun’s tool, but I know that most all of our users that have complex app layouts use their own project-specific Ant scripts to package/deploy their webapp. MyEclipse tries to help 95% of the users with typical project layouts, but there is still the remaining 5% that are working on very complex systems and need custom Ant scripts to handle deployment for them

So my REQUEST to Moderator : Rkalla is to kindly do comment on the compatibility of the above tools with myEclipse .Do tell me if they are 100% compatible with ME as of dir structures and deployment techniques.

#215538 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I’ll see if I can answer these one at a time.

Does this mean that the Tomcat Servlet/JSP engine is integrated into jBoss
    inherently and any J2EE application that i will develop using jBoss application server will use Tomcat as the servlet/jsp engine and jboss as the EJBapplication server. And does this also mean that since myEclipse extends full support to jBoss,it also fully supports Tomcat webserver/servlet-jsp engine.

That’s exactly what it means. So, since Tomcat 5 supports JSP debugging, you’ll be able to debug your JSP’s deployed to JBoss 3.2.5 as a side effect.

On your question regarding application servers, in our experience the best ones for development are JBoss 3.2.5 for EJB-based enterprise applications and Tomcat 5 for non-EJB web applications.

#215543 Reply

robinsingh

Last cuple of days while waiting for ur response I have checked out weblogic 8.1 ,It seems pretty good to me .
    Has very good support forums at BEA’s website.

I have checked out your site which provides several tutorials for weblogic .
    I dont have to worry about separate JSP/Servlet engine ,It all comes packaged under one Weblogic Server platform. And they give a year’s free evaluation license.
    All I have to make sure is your MyEclipse IDE supports it fully.
    Once I get that word from you I will start doing my development work on weblogic 8.1 using myEclipse IDE.

My choice of weblogic comes is attributed most by its widespread acceptance as an industry standard in the application server market.

Hopefully this should sound good to you .
    Kindly return back as soon as possible.
    Thanks for your expert help till date.

I hope in a cuple of days..I will buy your product and my Questions will be more techie rather than just “Getting Started” help Queries as you guys pointed in one of the earlier posts.

Regards
    Robin

#215566 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Robin,
    WebLogic is a fine example, however I would say for the *easiest* out-of-the-box experience for J2EE development, JBoss would be the way to go. However, you sound like an educated user that doesn’t mind reading documentation and so forth to figure something out, so I suppose both would be an excellent choice.

#217523 Reply

sukrudra

Dear
    I have also faced the same situation like you.
    As of today, while writing this, download the new myEclipse version , 3.8.2 to be precise,which is inbuilt with 20 types of server setups.I have tried both tomcat 5 stanadloone installation integreted with JBoss3.2.5. It works. and i am able to do all JSP and Servlets.
    I am getting few errors while starting Jboss3.2.5 thru myEclipse, i will have to check on that before i can commit anything furhter.
    Do post me of any new developments if u have made on this.
    emailid:srudra@apejaygroup.com
    Thanks and regds,
    S Rudra

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Compatibility between myEclipse,tomcat,jboss [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in