facebook

Copilot support for ABAP [Resolved]

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

jaredsharen
    Participant

Hello I have successfully installed copilot for eclipse and am attempting to leverage it in ABAP.

I use copilot in Visual Studio Code without any issues, but Eclipse support indicates ABAP is not supported.

I did find a setting in the preferences where ABAP was unchecked, however checking it and applying does not appear to have changed the fact that copilot is still disabled.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 9 months, 2 weeks ago by jaredsharen.
    • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by wayne.
    #699112 Reply

wayne

Hi Jared,
    Thx for sharing this issue. Could you share a screenshot? I am assuming the Copilot4Eclipse is showing the ABAP editor as unsupported or something similar. Also something to try is to enable ABAP and if the Copilot menuitem shows the editor disable, restart eclipse and see if Copilot is activated for the editor. This would be helpful to know as we are working towards a 1.0 release.
    Wayne

#699118 Reply

jaredsharen
    Participant

I can supply a screenshot if required, however it is just as easy to explain.

When I click on the copilot menu, the very first item says “Status: Unsupported Copilot language”

I then click on Copilot preferences, menu item Copilot4Eclipse and in the list:

Select the languages to be supported by GitHub Copilot:
    ABAP is the very first language. It is checked as enabled.

I have clicked Apply, Apply and Close. I have restarted eclipse to see if that helped it kick in as well.

So far nothing seems to enable copilot.

Thanks for the quick response

#699120 Reply

wayne

Thx.
    1) is the file extension *.abap or other?
    2) can you share the plugin/product that contains the editor? I would like to learn if there is something different about the editor that may goofing up how we connect Copilot4Eclipse to the editor.
    Wayne

#699146 Reply

dnabap04
    Participant

I am also facing similar issue, I put somescreen here https://github.com/orgs/community/discussions/51197#discussioncomment-7771297

1) There has no file extension. ( for screenshot please find attachment ‘Eclipse ABAP.PNG’ )
    2) Its ABAP Development Tools plugin for Eclipse IDE, ref ( https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-install-adt.html )

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #699226 Reply

wayne

Update: Yesterday we researched this issue and found a fix that should enable Copilot to work on the ABAP editor. Are working on an update that will include this fix sometime next week.
    Wayne

#699268 Reply

jaredsharen
    Participant

Great news Wayne, looking forward to it

#699279 Reply

vishnucta
    Participant

Any updates on this bugs….???

Attachments:
    #699288 Reply

vishnucta
    Participant

I have the build 2023-12 (4.30) and i dont have the fix in this build. any tentative date for the release of new build with the fix??

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by vishnucta.
    #699290 Reply

wayne

We are shooting to have an updated 1.0EA3 this Friday if possible. Otherwise the update will be early next week.
    We will post an update to this thread on Friday with the release status.
    W

#699316 Reply

wayne

Copilot4Eclipse 1.0-EA3 is now available. This update fixes a bug that was preventing Copilot4Eclpse from working properly in some Eclipse editors. We hope your ABAP coding experience is improved with this update. Please provide feedback here.

For new installations see https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/copilot4eclipse

To update Copilot4Eclipse from within Eclipse, choose Help menu > Check for Updates and select Copilot4Eclipse.

#699333 Reply

dnabap04
    Participant

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your work and update. Unfortunately, it is still not working for me.

Please see the attachments for the screenshot

Attachments:
    #699340 Reply

vishnucta
    Participant

Hello Wayne,

Still the same issue. I have attached the screens and it looks same as @dnabap04

Attachments:
    #699404 Reply

Mirko Fox
    Participant

Hello Wayne,

i am running into the same issue. Unfortunately i am not able to access it within SAP BW Modeling nor the ABAP Development Modeling View – is it even intended to work within there?

Best regards,
    Mirko

#699410 Reply

wayne

Mirko – thx for sharing this info. In this early stage of development we have concentrated on making Copilot4Eclipse work well in basic code editors. We have not yet had the bandwidth to see what is involved in working with custom multiple-page editors. I’m one of the devs that works on editor support and I’m a noob re: SAP ABAP editors atm. Over the holidays I will try and make time to setup an SAP environment and investigate more deeply what’s required for custom editor support.

dnabap04, vishnucta – I believe the latest 1.0EA3 can be customized to work for you. I think the issue is that Copilot4Eclipse can not detect the languageId of your abap editor. In this latest release we introduced a way for users to customize and override the languageId definitions used by Copilot4Eclipse. Today I am working on a document that explains the customization process. I will post an update here when the doc is available.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Copilot support for ABAP [Resolved]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in