facebook

CSS files not being hot deployed. Jetty restart required.

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

mxnmatch

This message has not been recovered.

#280292 Reply

Loyal Water

#280297 Reply

mxnmatch

#280541 Reply

Riyad Kalla

mxnmatch,
    Very strange… so if you do this:

1. Deploy your app as *exploded*
    2. Start app server and run app
    ** Wait a few mins, check some email
    3. Open the CSS file in the editor, make a simple change and save it
    4. Go out to the deployment directory and check the timestamp on the CSS file, it hasn’t been updated?

I’m asking because MyEclipse’s deployer is tied to the build cycle (“Save”) and not to the app server start/stop/restart cycle. So if simply restarting the app server is making the CSS file get read… it seems more like a reload issue of the resource on the server side… but the thing that shoots that theory to hell is that you said if you edit the file externally you see the changes right away…. hmmmm

#280625 Reply

mxnmatch

That’s correct. I’ve got some additional details that I just noticed:

If I stop jetty and make a change to the css file then the file is deployed as soon as I save it.

If I start jetty and make a change to the css file then the file is also deployed as soon as I save it.

But, as soon as I hit a url which loads a page then this behavior stops. If I make a change to the css file and save it, the file will not be deployed until the next time I restart the jetty server. Of course, after stopping I can cause it to be deployed right away by making a change and saving it again.

It doesn’t matter if jetty is running in run or debug mode.

Very strange behavior. Apparently the auto-deploy gets turned off once the first hit to the server occurs and gets turned back on when the server is stopped.

#280658 Reply

Riyad Kalla

If I stop jetty and make a change to the css file then the file is deployed as soon as I save it.

If I start jetty and make a change to the css file then the file is also deployed as soon as I save it.

Ahhhh, it sounds to me like while Jetty/Your app is running, something has a read-lock on the resource so it cannot be overwritten when MyEclipse tries to put the new copy out there.

I am not familiar enough with Jetty to know hwo to get it to stop this behavior, you could try checking the Jetty docs, but this sounds like what is going on. For example, start up Jetty, load a page that uses that CSS file, try and change it in ME and confirm that it *won’t* change on the server.

Now from Windows Explorer go and try and delete the deployed CSS file, you will probably get a Windows popup “The file cannot be deleted, it is currently in use” or something like that.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: CSS files not being hot deployed. Jetty restart required.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in