facebook

Derby and Plugins

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

frankc01a

Ok, has there been any progress on this?

Thanks
    Frank

#280657 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Frank sorry none that I’m aware of. It’s just a scheduling thing, we have Blue Edition as Priority #1 then our 6.5 release in April. I’m going to try and see what we can do for 6.5 release, until then management won’t prioritize work as other things are already top priority.

#280685 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Frank,

I apologize for the delayed response.

The problem is that MyEclipse does close the connection to the database, but because of the special nature of the embedded Derby driver, the database itself will not shut down, disallowing access from other JVMs.
    The database will only shut down if
    a) The JVM which started it explicitly shuts down the database
    or
    b) The JVM which started it terminates

MyEclipse currently does not do (a) as we do not currently recognize the Driver as a special case which needs additional post close processing. I have filed a bug report about this particular issue.

In the meanwhile, I have the following suggestion:
    1) Start a Derby network server from your command line, you can point this to the same database being used by the embedded driver. (Make sure your RCP app is not running at this time)
    2) Create a MyEclipse driver using the network client driver (and not the embedded driver) and connect to the network server you started above.
    3) When done, close the connection and stop the network server
    4) Start RCP app

Note that neither the RCP app nor MyEclipse will be able to access the DB simultaneously, but my asking MyEclipse to connect using the network client driver instead (and starting and stopping the network server), you can start your RCP app without having to shut down MyEclipse each time.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you require further assistance.

#318260 Reply

Derek Cook
    Participant

Hi,

Sorry to drag the past up, but I am having exactly the same problem in Eclipse 9. Is there a known work around for this issue? It’s a complete pain having to keep shutting MyEclipse down and starting it up again to release the database. I’m starting to consider step 16 right now 😉

#318290 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Derek,

I’m sorry but we have not prioritized this change in MyEclipse. I will highlight it again; however, did the alternatives I suggested in my previous response not work for you?

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: Derby and Plugins

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in