facebook

Editor issues in 2024.1.0

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

steveh
    Participant

Since upgrading to the latest MyEclipse I’ve been having issues with find / replace across all file types – I’ve come across this with Java, JavaScript, JSPs and others.

If you open a file, select a region of text and hit Ctrl-F, then choose another region and hit Ctrl-F again it jumps back to the original region being selected. If you make changes to a file and do a Replace All then it will also sometimes get the locations wrong so you end up with a mangled file. This also seems to persist across file openings, so if you open a file, make changes, save it, close the file then reopen it the problem will still occur.

This is obviously having a rather big impact on work. In case it’s relevant, this was an upgrade from the previous version of MyEclipse and I don’t have any other installed plugins that affect editors.

#701742 Reply

wayne

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing this info with us. We are investigating and will follow up asap.

Regards,

Wayne
    MyEclipse Product Team

#701744 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Steve,

That does sound like a terrible experience. Several of us tried to reproduce this across the editors you’ve mentioned, but we were unable to replicate. I have a few questions that should help us figure out what’s going on.

1) As a sanity check, are you now on version 2024.1 of MyEclipse? What version of MyEclipse did you update from?
    2) Are you using the new Inline Search (search bar that appears inline at the top right of the editor)? What search were you using in the prior version of MyEclipse where it was working fine?
    3) You can disable / enable the Inline search from Preferences > DevStyle > Inline Search. If you switch to the regular search mode (or switch to Inline as the case may be), do you still experience this issue?
    4) Could you try switching to a new workspace just to test? There could be a setting in the workspace that might cause this and it would be good to rule that out.
    5) If possible, do share a recording of the problem (you could upload it elsewhere and send us a link).

Thanks!

#701747 Reply

steveh
    Participant

1. This is 2024.1. Previously I was on 2023.1.2 and the upgrade completed with no problems. I think on this PC the first 2023 version was what was originally installed and it’s had whatever upgrades were available after that.

2. I don’t use the inline search – this is the traditional one in the separate window.

3. If I do enable inline search and use that then the behaviour is as you would expect so I’ll use that for now.

4. I’ve tried creating a brand new workspace and the problem happens in that too.

5. I’ll see if I can do this. The jumping back to the previous selected area happens every time but it’s harder to reproduce the case where sometimes replacements happen at the wrong location.

Thanks!

#701755 Reply

steveh
    Participant

Screen recording should be attached to this message.

I’ve tried a few things but haven’t been able to reproduce replacements happening in the wrong location. I think that may have only happened in the JavaScript editor after a long set of modifications when the file had been open for several hours.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #701808 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Steve,

Thanks for the video, that helped us reproduce as well. Don’t worry about the replacement recording – it’s probably caused by the same issue.

It turns out that this is a regression in Eclipse 2024-03 on which MyEclipse 2024 is based – we can now reproduce it there too. It doesn’t occur in 2024-06 though, so it looks like the issue has been fixed. I haven’t yet identified the actual bug and fix, but hopefully we’ll be able to pull it in for our next update. I’m glad the inline search is working for you right now!

#701822 Reply

steveh
    Participant

That’s good to hear. I like the idea of the inline search but not having history adds extra work and I think the UI is not especially clear, particularly the reuse of the same up / down icons for different things, which is why I’ve always stuck with the modal one.

#702296 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Steve,

A quick update on this. We were able to track down the issue to what turned out to be a massive refactoring of the Find/Replace code in Eclipse 2024-03. Unfortunately due to the extent of the refactoring, we are unable to reverse this change, nor are we able to pull in fixes from 2024-06 because of further refactoring in the same area. Too much code and too many files have been changed to bring in a fix via a patch.

The bottom line is this fix will have to wait until 2024.2, which will be based on Eclipse 2024-09. We hope to release this in mid October – sorry for the long wait and having to put up with this problem!

#702297 Reply

steveh
    Participant

Thanks for the update Brian – was just about to ask after this as I noticed it was still present in yesterday’s update.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Editor issues in 2024.1.0

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in