facebook

ER Designer-Oracle 9.2.0.5 doesn’t show details!

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

frantuma

Hi,

I really like the ER designer and use it happily with MySQL dbs

I am trying to use it with Oracle and I get some problems in getting the details; actually it shows me only table names and nothing else.

Here are the details. Can you help me with this, please?

Configuration:

Eclipse 3.0.1
      MyEclipse 3.8.3
      Oracle 9.2.0.5 (on AIX)
      Windows 2000 pro
      ojdbc14.jar (NOT ojdbc14_g.jar) driver
      Large database

When I create the diagram it shows me only table names, NO relationships, NO columns.

I can see the details (PK, FK, etc) in Table Info.
    I get no error in .metadata/.logs

Thanks

Francesco

#223806 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hang tight, I’ve asked someone to have a look at this.

#223868 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

I have the following setup, and it showed me relationships and columns:

– Eclipse 3.0.1
    – Oracle 9.2.0.5 server
    – Oracle 10g client
    – Windows XP Pro (SP1)
    – ojdbc14.jar
    – large database (about 1600 tables in the schema, 800 of them constraint-wise unrelated, the rest are related with fk constraints)

I saw tables, columns, relationship lines…

Guys, did I already say that you need to have:
    1. Selective inclusion of tables into the diagram.
    2. Zoom functionality with tooltip showing the table name under the tip of the mouse cursor 🙂
    3. Possibly a small navigation pane with tooltip showing the table name under the tip of the mouse cursor. 🙂
    4. Possibly suppression of attributes (just table name to be displayed on the table box, and the box being as small as possible).
    5. Possible resize of a table rectangle in the diagram (you may already have this, I haven’t checked).

Regards,

Robert

#223869 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Francesco,
    Can you see index information in Table Info? If not, then there was a bug in 3.8.3 which would result in the scenario you mention above.
    Please let me know whether you see any index information in the Table Info view.

3.8.4 fixes the above problem.

Rob,
    The ER Designer didn’t get that much attention this time around. To answer your feature request points.

1. Yes, this is on the cards
    2. If you move the mouse over a table, you can see it’s name as under your cursor – this works when the editor is zoomed as well.
    3. We already have an overview pane, but this will only allow you to navigate, no tooltips – did you want them here?
    4. You can press the [-] button on the top right of a table to hide the detail. Alternatively, you could select multiple tables and choose Toggle / Hide Detail from the context menu.
    5. You are free to resize the rectangles.

2 through 5 have been in since 3.8.3. You can also press Alt + F3 or choose select table from View or Context menu to speed up table selection.

Please let me know if I have misunderstood or understated your feature list 🙂

Thanks,
    Brian.

#223877 Reply

Robert Varga
    Participant

@Support-Brian wrote:

1. Yes, this is on the cards

Hm… I hope it will be in the next release 🙂

@Support-Brian wrote:

2. If you move the mouse over a table, you can see it’s name as under your cursor – this works when the editor is zoomed as well.

I haven’t noticed the toolbar when I posted… It’s good this way 🙂

@Support-Brian wrote:

3. We already have an overview pane, but this will only allow you to navigate, no tooltips – did you want them here?

It would be useful… the point is to be able to navigate on the outline.
    Now, the outline can crowded… 🙂

@Support-Brian wrote:

4. You can press the [-] button on the top right of a table to hide the detail. Alternatively, you could select multiple tables and choose Toggle / Hide Detail from the context menu.
    5. You are free to resize the rectangles.

Ok, its mostly good then 🙂

Got some other idea…

– the context menu could contain an item which would issue a select * from the selected table.
    – export to PNG would also be useful (it is a lossless compression in contrast to JPEG)

Regards,

Robert

#224077 Reply

frantuma

I actually cannot see indexes, only PK and FK. I am updating to 3.84 and will get back to you with result.

Thanks

Francesco

#224136 Reply

frantuma

Hi,

thanks for your help. Installing 3.84 has solved the issue, now I get details and relationships.

Thanks

Francesco

#224138 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Good to hear Francesco 🙂

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Regards,
    Brian.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: ER Designer-Oracle 9.2.0.5 doesn’t show details!

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in