facebook

ER Designer view does not display table relations – oracle.

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Brian Fernandes

consistec,

Thanks for trying that out.
    What you’re describing looks like the problem we just fixed. So, if you renamed *all* constraints in your db to be unique, it should have worked.

A few questions
    1) Are you sure both tables involved in the relationship are within the same schema?

2) Could you try creating the entire diagram again – instead of refreshing an existing one? Also make sure you close the connection to your database and and reopen it. (Refresh Diagram also refreshes this connection internally – but we need to be sure)

3) If you still can’t see the relationships – can you isolate the problem to two tables between which a relationship line is missing, recreate these two in a dummy schema and see if the line shows up? If it doesn’t – could you post the dummy schema script here?

As always, a relationship line should be draw for each FK constraint as long as the table it references is in the same shcema. (Make sure you can see the FK markings (in the diagram) for the missing relationship)

We appreciate the time you are spending with us on this one, thanks.
    Brian.

#224134 Reply

consistec

Hi Brian,

thanks for the help. Now it’s working. :o)
    You write:
    > relationships were not displayed if there existed more than one relationship (constraint) in the schema with the same name
    and I have only renamed the “$1” foreign keys in FK_1, the “$2” foreign keys in FK_2 etc.
    This was my mistake. Sorry!
    Now, I have renamed each of the FKs and ir’s working (if each constraint has a unambiguous name!)…

Thanks.

Georg

#224135 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Georg,

Happy to hear you got it working. 😀

This problem is fixed in 3.8.4, so if you download the new version of ME – you are not required to name constraints uniquely (or even name them at all).

Regards,
    Brian.

#224478 Reply

arunpers

OK.. atlast I have the ER diagram generated and it shows the relations between the tables.

Brief recap of my problem: ” Primary/Foreign keys were showing fine in the table info view, but when I try looking at the indexes I get a insufficient privileges error’. Also, when I create the ER diagram it does not show the relations between the table.”

I was logged in as a user that did not ‘own’ the schema that I was accessing. I have all the privileges i need to view the indexes, but the plugin was unable to retrieve indexes. I had my dba login as the schema owner and then i cud view the indexes and create the ER diagram.

Also since I am able to view the indexes when I log in TOAD or SQL plus, this is definitely a bug in the database plugin, which I hope you will fix soon.. For now I have the ER digaram… so I will be ok untill the schema changes again. 🙂

Thanks for the great support…and I look forward to the enhancements in future.

#224480 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Arun,

That is good news indeed, thanks for following up.

I would like to inform you that there was a bug in the ER Designer (in 3.8.3) which would not draw the diagram correctly if you could not get at the index information. (You would see only Table names, no columns and miss all the relationships)

This has been addressed in 3.8.4 – and you will be able to view the entire diagram even if index information is unavailable for whatever reason.

However, the ER Designer gets UNIQUEness information from the indices, so this will not show up correctly for you. (Unique columns will not be underlined)

As regards the index not being visible for your account, we still have no clue – I’ll ask Jeff to take a fresh look at that.

Thank you for your support, we appreciate it.

Regards,
    Brian.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
Reply To: ER Designer view does not display table relations – oracle.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in