facebook

Errors after Subversion Support 2.1.0 update

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author

tzundel

Hi Joy, (and Ray, and other support folks, and anyone else reading)

Well, I have bad news:

Short story: It doesn’t work.

Here are the details:

1. Yes, You can turn on “Classic updates”, as your post suggested. And yes, it provides another “Software Updates >” menu item on the Help menu. Woo Hoo. It seems to have the traditional “view history” and such.

So far so good.

2. I went ahead and installed Subversive 2.2.0. It seemed to install okay. It requested I restart MyEclipse, so I did.

So far so good.

3. When MyEclipse came back up. The “Classic Updates” was disabled. (This is what I enabled in step 1). Hmmm… Thats interesting… Why didn’t it “stick?”.

4. Okay, so I re-enabled it and looked at the installation history. Well, this “classic update” mechanism has no record of any changes (Including the one I did in Step 2. Thus, no way to “revert”.

So, we’re back to where we were a couple of days ago: My Version of MyEclipse doesn’t seem to have a way to “Revert” to a previous setup.

I hope the detailed explanation was clear, and helps explain just what isn’t working.

So, here come the followup questions:

#1. *SHOULD* this work? If so, you’ve got a bug. (I assume this is a bug… After all, the product *USED* to be able to revert… Now it cannot: this sounds like a ‘regression’ to me)

#2. Since we cannot revert to a previous version, AND since updates from the dashboard are proving to be so dodgy. I’d still like a list of directories, files, registry settings, etc. that I could backup. (i.e. If MyEclipse cannot provide a ‘revert’ capability. I’ll just do it manually, I’ll backup the necessary directories and files… perform the upgrade, and if it hoses things, I’ll restore the files and directories to how they were before the upgrade) Could I *PLEASE* have a specific list of directories and/or files and/or registry settings that MyEclipse relies on? Earlier in this thread, your response to this question was:

3. You can take a back up of your workspace to save projects data, your myeclipse installation and common folder locations. I think you should be all set with option 2.

Does that mean I only need to get “C:\program files\Genuitec and everything under it? I vaguely remember a “pulse locator file”, or something like that the lives somewhere else. I’d hate to get some of my directories backed up, only to forget some other file.

#3. Does the “non-pulse” version of MyEclipse still work the way it used to? (i.e. Did pulse break the revert capability?) If so, maybe I’ll throw away the pulse version of MyEclipse, and go with the “non-pulse” version (Since it may be more capable).

Thanks,

tzundel

p.s. It looks like Subversion 2.2.0 *IS* working, so that’s good. (And that was the original problem in this thread.) I haven’t really tested it yet, but I’m hopeful.

#298297 Reply

rmcvay

Yep. That was the missing link.

#298334 Reply

support-joy

tzundel

Thank you for the detailed reproduction script. Can you clarify what you see under Help > Software Updates > Manage Configuration > Revert to Previous? Can you attach a screenshot here for me? (Please use the [Post Reply] button instead of the Quick Reply option). I will get a dev member to go through your post and verify if there are any issues.

I have the same installation as yours and I am not facing above mentioned issues. Since you have reported this, I would like a dev member investigate this.

Good to hear that Subversion 2.2.0 is working.

#298341 Reply

tzundel

Hello Joy (and everyone else),

Okay, at first, that option is not enabled, as it doesn’t seem to “stick”. I enable it, but then when MyEclipse restarts again, its gone.

So, I can re-enable the classic updates, and give you whatever screen shots you want. However, I don’t have an option “Help > Software Updates > Manage Configuration > Revert to Previous”. I do have 3 different “Help > Software Updates”. The first one is the classic one, and it has “Help > Software Updates > Manage Configuration”. However, it doesn’t have a “Revert to Previous” option.

That screen shot is included here: (Okay, how do I include a screen shot? I did “Post Reply” as you suggested, but cannot get a screen shot added… I’ve dinked with the “img” button, tried to paste the screen shot multiple times, etc. It just doesn’t work.) I’ll take a guess and email to “support@genuitec.com” with a subject of “ManageConfiguration Screenshots”… I hope you receive it.

Okay, since we cannot actually add a screen shot here, I’ll tell you what I see:

Its a dialog box that says “Product Configuration”: The left pane has a tree view with “MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench” as the root of the tree. The only child is “C:\Program Files….” (Its my install location).

If I choose the root, I get the following four options in the right hand pane:

– Scan for Updates
    – View installation History
    – Show Activities
    – Add an Extension Location

If I choose the install location, I get the following three options in the right hand pane:

– Disable
    – Add an Extenstion Location
    – Show Properties.

If I choose to “view Installation History”… It shows me the install of my of software, with no updates or anything.

I’ve included these tree screenshots in the email. The email hasn’t bounced, so hopefully you will receive it.

Please let me know if you need any more information, or if you can tell me how to embed these images directly in my message.

thanks,

tzundel

#298351 Reply

tzundel

Hello Support,

Its been a few hours, and I haven’t received any emails bouncing, so I’m assuming you received the email with the screen shots?

tzundel

#298371 Reply

support-joy

tzundel,

I have PM’d you on how to add an attachment. Also I have verified that we haven’t received any mails from you to support@genuitec.com.
    I have an update from my dev team member. Pulse manages installed software and updates completely independently of Eclipse. This is the reason, you don’t see the version history show up even after Classic Update is turned on.
    To get a pulse free version of MyEclipse with Version history, you can download MyEclipse 7.1.1 from http://www.myeclipseide.com using this option – 5. Manual Installs 7.1.1 (4/7/2009).

#298372 Reply

tzundel

Hi Joy,

Thanks for the followup and the PM.

First of all, this is strange… I have your PM, and it clearly shows a “Browse” button in which to add an attachment. It shows an “Add An Attachment” section in which this button appears. However, I don’t have that option (I don’t have the entire “Add an Attachment section”). I notice that your screen shot uses Internet Explorer. I’m using Firefox. Could that be the cause?

Anyway, it sounds like you don’t need the screenshots. We’ve verified that the “pulse” version of MyEclipse doesn’t have a way to revert, is this correct?

Okay, so 1 final (hopefully) set of questions:

When 7.5 comes out. Will the pulse version have a way to “revert”? If not, I’m seriously considering going to the non-pulse version. It seems that you guys are pushing the pulse version pretty hard. Would I lose anything by using the “non-pulse” version. I really want to stay vanilla and mainstream with MyEclipse, as it seems that things go south quickly when folks start doing things out of the ordinary.

If the “Non-Pulse” version is for some reason not recommended by you guys, then could I *PLEASE* have a list of directories/files/settings, etc so I can perform a manual ‘revert’ if I need to?

Just to reiterate, here are my questions:

1. Why can I not add screen shots? Is it Firefox related?

2. Will the 7.5 release of MyEclipse (pulse) have a way to revert to a previous configuration?

2a. If not, is the “non-pulse” version not recommended?

2aa… If its not recommended, can you provide a list of things I’d need to backup manually, so I can use the ‘preferred’ version of MyEclipse, but still have a way to revert if an upgrade hoses me (Like the last couple of upgrades have).

Thanks,

#298381 Reply

Loyal Water

Anyway, it sounds like you don’t need the screenshots. We’ve verified that the “pulse” version of MyEclipse doesn’t have a way to revert, is this correct?

Thats correct.

1. Why can I not add screen shots? Is it Firefox related?

You will have to pm us the screenshots. I believe only admins have permissions to upload screenshots.

2. Will the 7.5 release of MyEclipse (pulse) have a way to revert to a previous configuration?

I’m afraid this option wont be available in 7.5

2a. If not, is the “non-pulse” version not recommended?

2aa… If its not recommended, can you provide a list of things I’d need to backup manually, so I can use the ‘preferred’ version of MyEclipse, but still have a way to revert if an upgrade hoses me (Like the last couple of upgrades have).

You can grab the Manual Install version of MyEclipse from our download page — this is the Pulse-free version of MyEclipse. We will have a similar install for 7.5.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)
Reply To: Errors after Subversion Support 2.1.0 update

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in