facebook

Firebird and jaybird

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Liz Sommers

I am running Firebird 1.5.2 with jaybird-full-2.0.0.jar. Jaybird is compiled with java 1.5 (this is how it comes from the website – although it SAYS it is java 1.4).

I cannot connect to a firebird database at all from dbexplorer. I can connect to the database progromatically and through the EMS firebird tools.

Any thoughts on how to get it working with DBExplorer?

Thanks
    Liz Sommers
    esommers@msdinc.com
    http://www.mamaliz.org/blogs/entropy

#236986 Reply

Riyad Kalla

What JDBC driver/version are you using? Any exceptions in your log file? (workspace dir\.metadata\.log)

#236989 Reply

Liz Sommers

The jdbc driver is jaybird. I solved the problem for now by getting a 1.4 compile from the project owner.

You wonder how many other drivers are compiled for 1.5. It might be worth looking at.

Thanks
    Liz

#237035 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Liz,
    Can you check your log for exceptions, I’m hoping there will be something that might lead us in a direction of what is going on here.

#256473 Reply

Rich

I am also having this problem – connecting via Database Workbench is no problem, but no connection is possble via DB Explorer – the error says:

GDS Exception. 335544344. I/O error for file %.0s”CreateFile (open)”
    null
    Error while trying to open file
    null
    Reason: I/O error for file %.0s”CreateFile (open)”
    null
    Error while trying to open file
    null

#256475 Reply

Rich

I dowloaded jaybird drivers dated 8/6/06 to replace what I had (dated 7/24/06) and the now I can connect.

#256542 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thank you for following up

#281662 Reply

I’m getting “Driver class not found” when trying to add the connection in DB Browser or DB Explorer.

I have tried to use several of the Jaybird JDBC/JCA driver packs, 2.0, and 2.1 for JDK 1.4 and 1.6.. I tried adding even all of the JAR files in the zip, even though jaybird-full-2.0.1 is supposed to have everything. I even tried adding the directory to my classpath= environment variable.. I’ve also made sure that Eclipse was using the 1.6 JDK instead of the JRE (which didn’t change anything)..

I have also tried looking at the JAR file with WINZIP to see that it does have the class FBDriver in it, in the place it’s expected. org.firebirdsql.jdbc.FBDriver

I was able to add and use this in Squirrel SQL and also EMS’s SQL Manager 2005 just fine. If I select the driver name drop-down, I get nothing in the drop down.. It’s almost like it’s just not recognizing what’s in the JAR file.

Here are the drivers:
    http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php?op=files&id=jaybird

Maybe I can help solve this, what is MyEclipse looking for in the jar file?

#281663 Reply

OK – I don’t know how, I worked on this for about 3 hours.. then 5 minutes after I made that post it just magically worked.. I’d still like to know what MyEclipse is doing for the JAR file to determine if the class exists.

Thanks!

#281675 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Dan,
    I can’t count how many times that has happened to me (work on something forever… post to a forum and bam, the next attempt I make I fix the issue).

It’s possible that some classloader snaffu was causing the JDBC driver lookup to barf and it might have cleared… I’m not sure why it suddenly worked but in order to setup a driver configuration in DB Explorer, all you need to do is configure the connection and click “Add JARs” and add the JAR right there on the screen, then select it from the drop down… all things it sounds like you did.

So I think you did the correct steps, just some gremlins in the machine caused it to not act as intended.

I hope everything is working smoothly now.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Firebird and jaybird

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in