facebook

Hot Code Replace with Weblogic: Remote Debugging

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Hi,

Eclipse version: 3.0.2
    Build id: 200503110845

MyEclipse version:3.8.4+QF2

the hot code replace feature is not working when I am remote debugging an app deployed on weblogic8. Weblogic 8(development) is using Sun HotSpot jdkK141_05. The Eclipse project is using HotSpot VM jdk141_05.

The application is built with an ant script and deployed to a particular Weblogic domain as an ear file. Then I run the weblogic and then do remote debug from Eclipse using Socket attach.

While stepping thorugh the code if i change code with in a method and compile it using Eclipse build/build all/clean feature that outputs the classes in the bin folder of the project(This folder is obviously different location then the Weblogic domain where the ear is deployed) the changes are not reflected.

Is there anything i am doing wrong. Does the Eclipse has to replace the classes in the Weblogic domain where the ear is deployed?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
    Rupinder

#234649 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Do you have any deployment setup for this project in MyEclipse? If so, what kind? (Packaged/Exploded).

Does WebLogic 8 fully support the JSR 45 spec?

#234697 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

I think all the information you need for remote development like this is in the Remote Debugging Quickstart, here:
    http://myeclipseide.com/enterpriseworkbench/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.genuitec.myeclipse.doc/html/quickstarts/remotedebugging/index.html

#236417 Reply

Dan Allen

Rupinder,

I am having the same exact problem. Our application is deployed to weblogic 8.1 with an extremely (overly) complex build script, so there is no way I can have eclipse setup to deploy to our server with this application. So I start the weblogic server with the debugging flags and then connect to it via socket. When the application code stops at my breakpoint, I add a very simply System.out.println() to the code and press “Save”. When I continue beyond the breakpoint, my code is never executed (I have also attempted various other types of code modification).

Am I missing something here? I thought the idea with jpda was that the class could be replaced in memory so as to execute the local class object rather than the remote one. Or is the problem with weblogic 8.1?

#236418 Reply

Dan Allen

WAIT! I had “Build automatically” turned off, so when I saved the class it wasn’t actually recompiling. Eclipse must recompile the class to send it over the wire to the debugging channel.

#236420 Reply

Dan Allen

Darn, now I get the following message:

Hot code swap failed. Reason: Scheme not implemented

However, I think I discovered the reason on the JBoss forums: http://www.jboss.org/?module=bb&op=viewtopic&p=3883835

#236430 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hot code swap failed. Reason: Scheme not implemented

Also don’t forget that you cannot change the “shape” of the class (add members, methods, remove them, etc.) just the contents of it. The spec doesn’t support hotswapping different shaped classes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Hot Code Replace with Weblogic: Remote Debugging

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in