facebook

HTML formatting seems very bad; is it me?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

Geoff

I hate it when I do that. I found a solution for the formatting problem. The tabs were already there. So the really issue is the formatter does not convert tabs to the appropriate number of spaces. other than that it seemed to work fine in this case. I did a search and replace (regular expression \t for spaces) and everything was fine. Did a reformat and it did not convert them back to tabs. So its just missing the conversion.

Also as far as the formatting goes, in the Java editor there are actually 2 settings concerning tabs. The displayed tab width which I believe should always be set to 8 to match non IDE text editors … I mean standard tab size. Then there is the indentation size for auto- and re-formatting, for Java I set this to 4 as Sun’s Java formatting suggests. But in the case of web pages I conform to the Ruby style of 2 spaces. Anyway, there is no way to set these two separately (which is why I didn’t see the above problem immediately).

Anyway, thanks again for all your great work, and I hope my comments help improve the product.

-Geoff

#241135 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Geoff,
    Can you email us an entire sample JSP page to support@genuitec.com ATTN Riyad with a link to this forum post so I know why I’mg etting it?

#241538 Reply

Brad Smith

I use the HTML Tidy plugin (available from sourceforge) to format html documents. The html formatter from myeclipse is useful when composing a page (indentation, etc) but when a page is done, html tidy does a good job reformatting for the web.

#241783 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Geoff,
    Sorry for the delay, I received your code and tested it and saw the issue you were having, additionally I looked into the bug tracker and noticed that this issue is already filed and will be looked into for a future release. In the mean time, I don’t know if bgsmith’s suggest is a good workaround.

#241808 Reply

Geoff

Sorry for not finding the bug first — I thought I looked and didn’t find the specifics. But thanks again. Looking forward to the updates. Every little fix gives me better feelings when I discuss why I like Eclipse/MyEclipse with those InteliJ users 🙂

Thanks again,
    Geoff

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
Reply To: HTML formatting seems very bad; is it me?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in