facebook

install of 2024.1.0 crashes – even fresh

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Jason Warner
    Participant

I tried to upgrade my 2023.1.2 install in place through the update option. Once completed, eclipse was supposed to restart. After waiting a few minutes I started it – everything seemed fine for about 10 minutes and then it just crashed with a crash report. I did not capture a screenshot or the crashlog. I assumed this was a one off, and restarted again. This time it crashed without an error report.

I tried to uninstall and perform a fresh install – same issue. Eclipse with start, run for a few minutes, and then crash with no logging why. I tried to update the JVM to point to Amazon Corretto JDK 1.17.0.5 and 1.17.0.11 – same result.

Can anyone give me some hints or anything?

#701411 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Jason,

Sorry to hear you’re running into this. Seems like your update / install is OK and something else is causing it to crash. Given multiple crashes, I would think it’s running out of memory, or something is is going awry that’s specific to your workspace.

1) The first thing to confirm would be to ensure that MyEclipse has enough memory. We have not increased requirements with this release, so if you edit the myeclipse.ini file (what OS are you on?) you should see -Xmx2048m in there (you could go higher if you’d like, but that should be the minimum).

2) Could you also send us the Workspace Error log? The log might shed some light on what is going wrong.

3) Any specific actions you took that preceded the crash each time, if you can think of anything? Invoking content assist, refactoring, doing a symbol search, etc.

4) What projects are you working with? Spring / Java EE / Angular, etc?

5) Is it possible for you to close projects you aren’t working with to see if the crash still occurs? If we can isolate the problem to a project(s), that would help.

6) There is a new Language Servers view that you could open to see if there is any unexpected Language Server activity. Please also keep an eye on the Progress view for unexpected jobs.

7) Another option would be to create a new workspace and import your projects into that. Some issues could be caused by workspace corruption or simply settings that are problematic.

Do keep us posted

#701433 Reply

Jason Warner
    Participant

Hi Brian –

Thanks for the response and the suggestions – I was able to resolve this. The rest of this message will be to document the what/how of it.

I was WFH today and able to test it on my personal PC – which works fine. So the issue seems to be with my work computer (b/c of course it is – being MyEclipse is pretty much 99% of my workday).

I won’t bore you with all the details. The root of the issue was the cacert file of the JDK. My company has an internal CA cert that is used to sign everything (including the proxy’s). This usually means the JDK can’t validate any cert for any site until it’s our CA is in – so it’s usually one of the first things we do when using a new JVM. Normally, we just drop and drag an existing cacert file into the <JDK_HOME>/lib/security folder.

For whatever reason – the existing cacert file that we use is what caused myEclipse to crash. I don’t know if it’s missing something, or a version issue, or what – but everything works as expected if I properly import the internal CA into the truststore.

VERY strange…

But thanks for all the suggestions – had I not used them as a guide for testing, I might not have circled back on what we considered a simple process of preparing our JDKs.

THANKS SO MUCH! I’m super excited to test out the new functionality and the Copilot4Eclipse!!!

#701435 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Jason,

First – thank you so much for this timely update, you rescued my weekend! I’m glad my notes were helpful.

Since you mentioned Copilot4Eclipse, did you have Copilot4Eclipse already installed prior to all the crashes, and if so, was it working? Given that Copilot4Eclipse is trying to make external connections to GitHub servers, I wonder if this is what ultimately triggered the crash. Were there any entries in the error log that were indicative of from where (in MyEclipse) any connection requests were coming from?

Finally, just so we understand the fix, copying your cacert into the <JDK_HOME>/lib/security folder did not fix the issue, but importing that same certificate correctly (using keytool?) worked?

Thanks again Jason, and have a great weekend!

#701475 Reply

Jason Warner
    Participant

Hi Brian

sorry for the delay..

No – Copilot4Eclipse wasn’t installed. When I first installed 2024.1.0 it ran fine, except that it through this error in the log

!ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.theming.ui 4 0 2024-06-14 14:08:04.098
    !MESSAGE PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    !STACK 0
    javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target
    	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.Alert.createSSLException(Alert.java:131)
    	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:378)
    	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:321)
    	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.TransportContext.fatal(TransportContext.java:316)
    	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.checkServerCerts(CertificateMessage.java:1351)
    	at java.base/sun.security.ssl.CertificateMessage$T13CertificateConsumer.onConsumeCertificate(CertificateMessage.java:1226)

Which is common enough to me that I immediately stopped Eclipse to copy the cacerts file into the JDK – this was my error. It wasn’t until later that I realized that even though the cacerts didn’t allow it to connect to anything, Eclipse didn’t crash. Through the entire process, the above was the only error message I saw – but it was copying the cacert into the <JDK_HOME>/lib/security folder that CAUSED the issue of MyEclipse crashing. I was a victim of my own lazy solution.

The cacerts file that I’ve been using for this is fix ancient. It was handed to me when I started working here in 2020 – and I don’t know how long it has been used internally. I can tell you that the problem file’s 108Kb is way smaller when comparing it the JDKS (Corrretto8’s cacerts is 237Kb and Adoptium17’s is 168Kb – Clearly it’s missing some stuff…)

Thanks again for the help – every time I reach out you guys are great!

#701497 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Jason,

Appreciate the kind words and the detailed clarifications – it’s definitely important to know that Copilot4Eclipse was not in the picture when this occurred. I wonder about the theming plugin reference we see in the trace there … but given your details on the cacerts you initially used, it does seem to be severely lacking – I too agree that it was quite likely the culprit!

Thanks!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: install of 2024.1.0 crashes – even fresh

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in