facebook

Installing plugins with upgrade of Eclipse/MyEclipse

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Off Topic
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

MikeKing

Hi,

Is there some way (perhaps using ANT) to automate the installation of plugins after installing a new version of Eclipse or MyEclipse? I use a number of plugins, some of which require that one insert specific extra files into some directories.

It is quite a difficult process to manually reproduce the same plugin configuration with each upgrade.

I roughly have the idea of keeping the plugins in directories separate from the Eclipse and MyEclipse directories and then setting Eclipse preferences or ? to point to these plugin directories as ‘local archive sites’, or something like this. Can one write a script that will do this? The script would also have to do the necessary inserting of any required extra files.

Advice will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike King

#258316 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Moving to OT > Soft Dev

#268085 Reply

@support-rkalla wrote:

Moving to OT > Soft Dev

NOT off topic – I have to insist that this is the basic installation question.

I was searching forums for exactly this issue – I have other plugins configured – what is the procedure for upgrading myeclipse, so that those would not have to be reinstalled
    It is quite a drag and makes me reluctant to upgrade the ide – while callisto will just do this nice validated upgrade components stuff
    myeclipseide seems to be stuck in “download the whole thing” land.

are there any plans to change the install/upgrade functionality to make use of eclipse built in upgrade facility?

thank you

#268093 Reply

Riyad Kalla

MyEclipse must adhere to the same restrictions that the Eclipse platform does. Callisto was the 3.2 release of Eclipse, do yes, upgrading from 3.2.0, to 3.2.1 and 3.2.2 can all be done from the update manager. This is the same situation with MyEclipse (5.1.0, to 5.1.1, etc.).

The reason you may be doing more full reinstalls of MyEclipse is that we release quite a bit more often than most other products and the Eclipse platform which has a major release a year (3.2, 3.3, etc.) while MyEclipse will ship atleast 2 and possibly 3 major releases a year that need a new install due to the update manager not allowing an update from one major revision to another (4.x to 5.x)

That being said we realize the installation story is not being told in the most fluid manner, which is why we started the “what are your most used plugins?” poll 6 months or so ago. We took that information and compiled a list of the most used plugins along side MyEclipse and are expanding the MyEclipse site to include these plugins and other MyEclipse certified plugins that are part of our partner network to be easily accessible and immediately installable.

So say with a new install, you could hit a button, select Subversive, BIRT, TPTP, etc. and hit Install, then import your preferences and be all ready to go.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Installing plugins with upgrade of Eclipse/MyEclipse

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in