facebook

JSP Compilation Validation vs JSP Editor Reconciler Errors

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
  • Author

snpe

I don’t believe
    Maybe I mssing thing
    I have screenshot for you. Is it fine for you ?

http://www.snpe.co.yu/validation-error.png (68k)

regards

#213136 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

The log error can be ignored because javac will bail when it encounters an error. Currently, we log it to help us debug, but plan on removing it as
    it tends to confuse most users. Can you try restarting eclipse with the -clean commandline arguement and then validating your JSP’s to see if
    the corrects the behavior? If it doesn’t can you email a zip of a small example project with which you’re experiencing this issue to us for
    testing to see if we can replicate the problem internally? From the problems you’re having it sounds like you possibly installed 3.8.1 over 3.8.0
    without an uninstall or perhaps did not perform the -clean restart.

#213140 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott,

I just emailed you an export of a clean error log. I did a clean install of Eclipse and MyEclipse, created a new project and a new JSP, then validated the JSP with an error in it (out.write(“hi”) with no semicolon). Any ideas?

Thanks,

TR

#213141 Reply

snpe

Scott,
    I ask for compile error because it hapen that compile break work without message and return that page is valid

Troe,
    What about my screenshoot – is it corect icons ?
    Are You restart in new clean workspace ?

regards

#213142 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott, snpe,

Apparently, one has to have javac.exe in the path. I made this change and now things seem to be working. I didn’t have to do this before. Any ideas why I have to do it now?

Thanks,

TR

#213143 Reply

snpe

ex-compiler use installed jre in eclipse, new compiler don’t

I think that ME have to use compiler from installed jre that we can choose jre
    or
    ex-compiler is correct

regards

#213145 Reply

Terry Roe

I just did a full validation. Not all errors show up in icon decorations, and no warnings are shown. Is this configurable? If so, I can’t find where to configure it. Unhandled exception errors are do not generate an icon decoration nor a left margin icon. Is this by design? Or am I still missing something?

TR

#213158 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Terry,

The log you emailed us clears it up. The problem is that the JSP Validator is unable to launch a java compilation task because you’re running Eclipse with a Java JRE, rather than a full SDK. The javac command is normally in the SDKs/bin directory, but it is not included in a JRE’s/bin directory. From the log, your classpath contains entries to “C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_04…”. However, to launch our application servers correctly you must have a full SDK installed since servers need javac to compile JSP’s also.

The solution to the immediate issue is to specify that Eclipse start up with a full SDK by specifying the -vm startup option in your startup alias as shown below:
    <path>\eclipse.exe -vm <path-to-sdk-install>\bin\javaw.exe …rest of options…

This should enable Jasper to find a compiler and get validation working for you. I’ve also entered a bug report to notify the user if javac can’t be found so that the confusion that this has caused can be aleviated for other users.

For other users, the key in the signature in the log which indicates this condition is something like:

!MESSAGE Caused by: java.io.IOException: CreateProcess: javac.exe -classpath  ...

Thank you for your help in isolating this problem. Please let us know if the suggested fix resolves the issue.

#213251 Reply

Terry Roe

Scott,

Thank you for your response and your help. However, I had already resolved this part of the problem by including <jsdk>\bin in my path. This does allow certain errors to decorate icons in Package Explorer and in the left margin of the editor. However, this does NOT address the issue that certain errors (Unhandled exceptions, local variables possibly not initialized, etc.) and warnings do NOT decorate the icons nor place icons in the left margin. As I mentioned before, I can run the mouse cursor down the left margin, where there are no icons, and I will get a change in mouse cursor to the pointing hand/finger, and the popup text will appear wherever there is an error/warning. It’s just that the icons do not appear here, nor do the icons get decorated in Package Explorer.

If this functionality is not working in the current release, I suppose I can live with that for now. However, if this is supposed to be functional in this release, then we still have a problem.

Thanks for your help, so far.

TR

#213284 Reply

Terry Roe

Hello, Support?

Is there anyone watching this thread?

TR

#213288 Reply

Riyad Kalla

TR,
    I was able to duplicate this with the Unhandled exceptions problem, however the “variables possibly not initialized” worked as expected and showed an error marker in the left margin. Either way I filed a bug due to the first problem.

Is there anyone watching this thread?

3hr turn around time on a question is too long?

#213296 Reply

Terry Roe

Riyad,

No, three hours is not too long. However, I was having a near real-time conversation last evening with the support personnel and this is a very frustrating problem for me.

I have a project (that I inherited) that has lots of errors and warnings in existing JSP files. It isn’t possible to determine which files have warnings, and certain types of errors, without opening the individual files. I could really use icon decoration in Package Explorer. The icons in the left margin are a less important issue to me, though still disturbing. Would screen shots with annotations help at all in tracking these problems down? Are icon decorations supposed to work for warnings and all errors?

Thanks,

TR

#213297 Reply

Riyad Kalla

TR, by design the warnings are not annotated with icons because they are more light weight. The errors however should be marked. In my report I noted that the package view was lacking annotations for the errors as well. I hope we can roll this fix into another quick fix and get it out to you soon.

#213300 Reply

Terry Roe

Riyad,

OK. It would be nice if warning annotations on Package Explorer were configurable. This would be more consistent with how regular Java classes/files are annotated. You should be able to see warnings as well as errors on the JSP icons. This used to work in 3.8 Beta 2.

TR

#213322 Reply

snpe

Troe,
    I try help You last evening, but I don’t from ME support

Can You send jsp file with your errors ?

regards

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)
Reply To: JSP Compilation Validation vs JSP Editor Reconciler Errors

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in