facebook

Linux verison of Visual HTML Designer – when?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Feature Requests
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Brian Wallis

Have I read this correctly? As a very recent subscriber and new user of myeclipse I was just reading over the various features and came across this. What gives? Are you really supporting some features only on MS platorms?

As a linux user of about 12 years (starting at kernel 0.98) and a unix user since the late ’70s I must protest. I am used to being treated as a second class citizen by all manner of commercial companies and by my own companies system admin team but I am quite sick of it. I am surprised that myEclipse would be doing this as well, perhaps I got the wrong idea about myEclipse, I thought it was following the same platform neutral path as Eclipse.

I hope I am wrong and you can tell me that it all works the same on linux as on any other platform (and how to get it to work).

brian wallis…

P.S. If it doesn’t, I do not want to hear the excuses, I want to know when. If you are using windows only products to do the HTML editor then I seriously suggest you revisit that decision. Anyone can make a windows only product, to make a truly cross platform product is task worthy of praise!

#212882 Reply

wayne

P.S. If it doesn’t, I do not want to hear the excuses, I want to know when. If you are using windows only products to do the HTML editor then I seriously suggest you revisit that decision. Anyone can make a windows only product, to make a truly cross platform product is task worthy of praise!

Hi Brian,

As fellow Linux users we appreciate your zeal and concern regarding a prevailing Windows bias in application platform support. Please note that Genuitec’s strategy has always been to provide ME functionality on the major platforms of the Eclipse compatibility matrix. So for the record we are planning to provide the Web Designer on Linux and Mac. Having said that I made the decision to rollout the initial Web Designer implementation on Win32 for a number of practical reasons that optimize our concerns listed in priority order: user experience, time to market, development cost, support and an upgrade path to Linux/Mac.

As a long time developer such as yourself I’m sure you can understand our philosophy summed up in the following statement: “Software is about trade-offs. Successful software is about knowing which tradeoffs to make and when to make them.”

So I repeat that we do plan to provide a HTML/JSP WYSIWYG support for the Linux/Mac OSs as soon as possible.

Regards
    Wayne Parrott
    VP, Product Delivery & MyEclipse Architect
    Genuitec, LLC

#212968 Reply

Brian Wallis

Thanks for the answer. Not a bad answer either, I’m constantly aware of the tradeoffs that have to be made in my own job. As long as you are planning to have the same functionality in a timely fashion on the other platforms then I’m happy.

brian…

#213046 Reply

nat101

Isn’t ME written completely in Java? If so why does tha platform matter?

-nat

#213071 Reply

Greg

Some portions of the ME HTML Designer use platform-specifc external components, which allows us to quickly build off existing features.

From Wayne’s post:

…I made the decision to rollout the initial Web Designer implementation on Win32 for a number of practical reasons that optimize our concerns listed in priority order: user experience, time to market, development cost, support and an upgrade path to Linux/Mac.

#215592 Reply

wilfried

as a linux user, i’m also awaiting this feature……….

#215947 Reply

tmccrary

This feature is very important to me, is there any kind of time frame when this will be available?

#233330 Reply

naos

I bought MyEclipse license because it’s nice features works on linux. It’s very usefull on web programming, too bad it doesn’t make the same for design.
    I’m doing good so far cause I’ve a web designer to help, but I’m also on the waiting list to see the HTML Designer tab to work on my workbench.

On what release is genuitec gonna make it available?

#236080 Reply

tyoungblood

I wanted to add that I’m very much looking forward to the Linux version. This capability, even for simple html capabilities, is badly needed on Linux. I think you will see your subscriber base increase once this is available.

It will be the tipping point for me to upgrade to your Pro subscription.

Thanks for all the hard work,
    Tim Youngblood
    New York, NY

#236448 Reply

Brian Wallis

@bwallis42 wrote:

Thanks for the answer. Not a bad answer either, I’m constantly aware of the tradeoffs that have to be made in my own job. As long as you are planning to have the same functionality in a timely fashion on the other platforms then I’m happy.

I’ve renewed my subscription recently which I think makes me a loyal customer. But I still seem to be waiting for the visual designer and it is now more than a year since I last asked the question.

The answer then was “as soon as possible” and as I wrote, I was hoping for it in a “timely fashion” but I’m still waiting for the feature.

So, Is it going to happen or have you decided not to do the designer for linux?

#237291 Reply

razvanm

This message has not been recovered.

#237817 Reply

Henry0001

#237820 Reply

arjan.tijms

#237876 Reply

Brian Wallis

#237901 Reply

arjan.tijms

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
Reply To: Linux verison of Visual HTML Designer – when?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in