facebook

Mac OSX Bug 67384 fixed?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Matisse/Swing UI Development
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
  • Author

Lance Drake

Hi…

As a Mac Developer – does it make any sense to file yet another bug on this point?

“RADAR Bug ID # 3905894 is the original one, for future reference.” was the line I saw in the bug-discussion.

Thanks!

#253366 Reply

Riyad Kalla

We are discussing that internally, if we should request the original one get reopened for this reason or file another one.

#253457 Reply

Calvin Vette

Even when this bug gets fully fixed, the threat of it happening again is very real. This is just a (hopefully) exaggerate case.

As long as SWT uses native code, this is a potential problem.

My recommendation – to you, Apple, and the SWT team – is to create a base “compatibility” layer of SWT that runs on Swing. That way no one will ever get left out of functionality – even if it may run better on the natively supported platforms.

Plan B. might be to upgrade the SWT to Cocoa rather than Carbon. One of the core issues is that SWT is using a Carbon calling mechanism but really using the compatibilty layer to indirectly instantiate the Cocoa widgets. (IIUC).

Sponsoring an SWT on Cocoa port might get us out of the trap we’re in right now, but sponsoring an SWT on Swing port would be the best insurance. Swing on Mac OS already uses the native peer approach that SWT was trying to accomplish, but does it with guaranteed compatibility.

I’ve been looking into this off and on for a while. I think a single dedicated man-month would be enough investment to get out a functional beta. I just haven’t had the month myself.

Theres already an attempt that was started on it but got stalled:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/swtswing

or

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=69930#c45

#253459 Reply

Riyad Kalla

calvin,
    A lot of people have referenced the swtswing project that just seemed to have stopped… there seems to be a lot of requests for it, but unfortunately the authors got occupied with other work it seems.

#253477 Reply

Calvin Vette

Maybe I was being too delicate. It’s not something I’m accused of often, though.

I’m suggesting that Genuitec invest in doing the port. If it’s really the problem that you say it is for you and that you’re really losing money on it, this would be a way to solve the problem without being barred or slowed by Apple or the SWT team.

#253478 Reply

Calvin Vette

Maybe I was being to delicate. It’s not something I’m accused of often, though.

I’m suggesting that Genuitec invest in doing the port. If it’s really the problem that you say it is for you and that you’re really losing money on it, this would be a way to solve the problem without being barred or slowed by Apple or the SWT team.

#254342 Reply

I have now since several months a Macbook Pro and bought an MyEclipse Subscription same time, when i bought MacBook Pro. But i simply cant use it in that way, which i thought i could. Is it possible to get the money back? I know, thats not your fault, but otherwise i have a subscription, which i dont use or better cant fully use, because the product is not fully compatible and it seems, that it will not be compatible, until my subscription period ends.

Greetings

Unreallity

#254346 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This has been discussed and is something we have had on the table since the issue first took center stage. I’m not privvy to the exact details of what happened though.

I have now since several months a Macbook Pro and bought an MyEclipse Subscription same time, when i bought MacBook Pro. But i simply cant use it in that way, which i thought i could. Is it possible to get the money back? I know, thats not your fault, but otherwise i have a subscription, which i dont use or better cant fully use, because the product is not fully compatible and it seems, that it will not be compatible, until my subscription period ends.

Unreallity,
    Absolute, we offer a 100% money back guaruntee (no time limit either). Just email subscriptions@genuitec.com with a description of your problem and request your refund, they’ll take care of you. We are sorry that this issue was a show stopper for you. An option would be to downgrade to a Standard subscription which doesn’t include the Matisse designer, but if that was the big selling point for you then I understand that may not solve your problem ultimately.

#261448 Reply

lscoughlin

Fingers crossed, still waiting 🙂

Any news?

#261450 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No news, what we need fixed is this bug now, which was broken off after the first bug was closed prematurely for simple embedded apps:
    https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=145890

#263148 Reply

elee
    #263171 Reply

elee

Also -> http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-15279.html

They fixed some issues with the swt libraries in the latest java developers preview.

#263174 Reply

David Orriss Jr
    Participant

@elee wrote:

FYI.. for swtswing…. http://swtswing.sourceforge.net/main/index.html

Looks like the developers picked back up as of October. Good news for users of that toolkit.

#263352 Reply

testing2

Hi,

Would really like to hear that this bug is closed. It is so frustrating to not have access to UML and other tools. Not to put a fine point on it, but my license renewal is next month and I need to see this problem fixed, otherwise the Mac is simply not a suitable platform for MyEclipse.

David

#263354 Reply

Riyad Kalla

David,
    The fact that this bug isn’t getting resolved in platform is *costing* us money for every subscription that isn’t purchased or renewed because of it… believe when I say we want it fixed.

I just saw a note across my desk at the beginning of the week that our product manager started an initiative to investigate other solutions to see if it’s possible to work around the limitation. No news yet.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 85 total)
Reply To: Mac OSX Bug 67384 fixed?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in