facebook

Memory issues after upgrading from 4.1.1 to 5.1.1

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jkomorek

Whn I used to run 4.1.1 I found that I had to allocate a max of 2gig of memory to MyEclipse, otherwise the performace was terrible. Since I upgraded to 5.1.1 I tried running with just 1gig to see if things have improved, but I am still experiencing poor performance.

My problem is that with 5.1.1, when I try to allocate 2gig of memory by modifying the eclipse.ini file, MyEclipse won’t start. I receive the error, “Could not create Java virtual machine” along with a dump of the startup parameters.

Is there any way for me to use a different JRE to start MyEclipse? I’m hoping this will allow me to allocate more memory.

#268698 Reply

Riyad Kalla

A few notes:

1) You can tell MyEclipse which VM to launch with using the -vm command line argument and pointing directly at the javaw executable to use.

2) Make sure your command line arguments use the optimized memory arguments like these:
    http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-10087.html
    Sometimes it’s not heap space you are running out of, but permGen space.

3) There is no direct upgrade path from 4.1.1 to 5.1.1, so I’m not sure if you used the all-in-one installer to install 5.1.1 (Best case scenario) or actually tried to overwrite existing installs in an effort to update them (won’t work). So dependeing on how you “upgraded” I could have a few suggestions here.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Memory issues after upgrading from 4.1.1 to 5.1.1

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in