facebook

MyEclipse an internal error

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

leon5wu

Hello,

My project was not able to be built due to an internal error – the selected file is a system file that cannot be modified. What does it mean? I cannot do the clean project. I menully deleted the .class files and it stops the complain. But, it happens again after a while. How can I identiy the problem?

Thanks.

#253495 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Can you please post all the information we request in the [URL=http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-393.html]Posting Guidelines[/URL] thread at the top of this forum? That will give us some context so that we can determine if this is an installation issue, a configuration problem, or a bug. Thanks.

#253544 Reply

leon5wu

Eclipse3.1.2 and Myeclipse4.1.1_GA_E3.1 were freshly installed.
    The configuration is

*** Date: Fri Jun 16 08:48:31 EDT 2006

*** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.4.2_08

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 4.1.1 GA
    Build id: 20060309-4.1.1-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.1.2
    Build id: M20060118-1600

Eclipse Project SDK

Eclipse Platform

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Eclipse RCP

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    D:\MyIde\myeclipse\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    4f4_6c
    -clean
    -vm
    D:\bea\jdk142_08\bin\javaw.exe

The exception from .log is

!ENTRY org.eclipse.jdt.core 4 4 2006-06-16 08:36:51.52
    !MESSAGE JavaBuilder handling CoreException while cleaning: mmisFramework
    !STACK 1
    org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.ResourceException: Problems encountered while deleting resources.
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Resource.delete(Resource.java:677)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.BatchImageBuilder.cleanOutputFolders(BatchImageBuilder.java:126)
    at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.builder.JavaBuilder.clean(JavaBuilder.java:247)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$2.run(BuildManager.java:595)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1044)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:783)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:168)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:202)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager$1.run(BuildManager.java:231)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.InternalPlatform.run(InternalPlatform.java:1044)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Platform.run(Platform.java:783)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.basicBuild(BuildManager.java:234)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.events.BuildManager.build(BuildManager.java:303)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.Project.build(Project.java:106)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.dialogs.CleanDialog.doClean(CleanDialog.java:237)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.dialogs.CleanDialog$1.runInWorkspace(CleanDialog.java:124)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.InternalWorkspaceJob.run(InternalWorkspaceJob.java:38)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:76)
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.core.resources 4 4 2006-06-16 08:36:51.52
    !MESSAGE Problems encountered while deleting resources.
    !SUBENTRY 2 com.ibm.rational.clearcase.ide 4 4 2006-06-16 08:36:51.52
    !MESSAGE Internal error – the selected file is a system file that cannot be modified. It will be hidden.

#253567 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Try right clicking on the root of your project and perform a “Refresh”, then go to WIndow > Preferences > General > Workspace and turn on “Automatic refreshing”.

#253633 Reply

leon5wu

I did that, but it does not work. Any other idea?

#253634 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Looking back at the exceptions it looks like the exceptions are comming from the ClearCase plugin. If you make a copy of this project and disconnect it from source control, effectively removing ClearCase, does it suddenly start working?

#256223 Reply

arbalu

Hello <support-rkalla>,
    I am facing the same problem now with RSA… not even a single word out of the above lines… if you have the solution to this, please post it to me. Your help is very much appreciated…

Thanx,
    balu.

#263382 Reply

garydong

Hi;

Has anyone found the reason and the solution to this one already?

Thanks.

Gary

#263386 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Gary,
    “Internal error” can mean a lot of things. The first place to start digging for clues is your log file (<workspace dir>\.metadata\.log), look near the bottom and paste any interesting looking excpetions here that might help us shed light on what is going on.

A fast way to get a working MyEclipse install is just to download and use our Windows All-In-One installer to a new directory and then reopen your existing workspace. That should get you in good shape very quickly.

#265848 Reply

I have been having the same problem on my OS X (10.4.8) machine and I think I may have just solved it by making all of the “.copyarea.db” files (which ClearCase drops in all of the directories) user writable.

I issued the following at the base level of my view:

find . -name .copyarea.db | xargs chmod u+w

Obviously, you’ll need to figure out the equivelant Windows command if your not on a Unix system. (unless you use Cygwin or something)

EDIT: That only intermittently seems to be working as I started getting the same error a little later this evening and repeating it is not helping now.

Eric Smalling | Lead Software Engineer | TravelocityBusiness.com / GetThere.com
    ericDOTsmalling AT travelocity.com

#265870 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Eric,
    Thanks for posting your findings. ClearCase seems to cause strange side effects we’ve seen because of how it handles files (I think, I haven’t used it, I just see a lot of support Qs about it).

#266927 Reply

gzeidan

Hi all,

I had the same problem before with ClearCase. Here is how to resolve the issue:

1. Go to Package Explorer and right-click on the project that has the problem and select “Delete”, or just select the project and use the keyboard “Delete” button (Do not delete the source code, just the delete the project from Eclipse view)

2. Then go to ClearCase perspective, and browse inside the stream to the project you just deleted. Right-click –> Import –> Import project into workspace.

3. In Java perspective, Clean and Rebuild workspace.

This should solve it.

Thanks,
    Guss

#269836 Reply

Guss,
    I have tried your suggestion couple times and I have had a problem doing that because when I delete the project it auto-builds which make some other projects have the same error. But if I disable the auto-build when I clean and build the project there is no change.

I have tried making the copyarea.db writable, deleting all class files and deleting old views all to no avail.

I think this issue came because of a ClearCase servier issue and where my ownership of my views were corrupted.

Any other suggestions would be very helpful thanks.

Thanks,
    Satish

The project was not built due to “Internal error – the selected file is a system file that cannot be modified. It will be hidden.”. Fix the problem, then try refreshing this project and building it since it may be inconsistent

*** Date: 5/7/07 6:13 PM

*** Platform Details:

*** System properties:
    ant.home=c:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\plugins\org.apache.ant_1.6.2
    ant.library.dir=c:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\plugins\org.apache.ant_1.6.2\lib
    awt.toolkit=sun.awt.windows.WToolkit
    com.ibm.CORBA.BootstrapHost=localhost
    com.ibm.CORBA.ConfigURL=C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\runtimes\base_v6\profiles\default/properties/sas.client.props
    com.ibm.CORBA.loginSource=none
    com.ibm.SOAP.ConfigURL=file:W:/profiles/*******Profile_6.1/properties/soap.client.props
    com.ibm.cpu.endian=little
    com.ibm.eclipse.adaptor.policy=com.ibm.jxesupport.JxeClassLoaderPolicy
    com.ibm.oti.configuration=scar
    com.ibm.oti.jcl.build=20050502_1416
    com.ibm.oti.system.class.path=C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\jclSC14\classes.zip;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\core.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\charsets.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\graphics.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\security.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmpkcs.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmorb.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmorbapi.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmjcefw.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmjssefips.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmjgssprovider.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmjsseprovider.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmjaaslm.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmjaasactivelm.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\ibmcertpathprovider.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\server.jar;C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\lib\xml.jar
    com.ibm.oti.vm.bootstrap.library.path=C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\jre\bin
    com.ibm.oti.vm.library.version=22
    com.ibm.vm.bitmode=32
    eclipse.application=org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench
    eclipse.buildId=I200406192000
    eclipse.commands=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\.\eclipse\eclipse.exe -showsplash 600
    -exitdata
    C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\.\eclipse\eclipse.exe -exitdata 7b0_390
    -plugincustomization
    C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\eclipse\default\plugin_customization.ini
    -data
    W:\workspaces\workspace_6.1
    -showlocation
    -vm
    C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\.\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe

eclipse.product=com.ibm.rational.sdp.feature.ide
    eclipse.startTime=1178571399195
    eclipse.vm=C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\.\eclipse\jre\bin\javaw.exe
    eclipse.vmargs=-Xj9
    -Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.EPackage.Registry.INSTANCE=org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl.EPackageRegistryImpl
    -Xquickstart
    -cp
    C:\Apps\IBM\Rational\ApplicationDeveloper\.\eclipse\startup.jar
    org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main

#269876 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Satish,
    You might want to check with IBM support for Rational.

#271474 Reply

aredmond

I had the same error. It appears to be related to the clearcase plugin too.
    But, for some reason, eclipse copies the copyarea.db file (which is a clearcase system file) into the bin (i.e the build output path). So, when it tries to clear it, it creates a problem.

So, just go on the file system, and remove it from your build output path. Then, clean and rebuild the project. This worked for me. Might work for you too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: MyEclipse an internal error

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in