facebook

problems stepping through code in debug

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author

Riyad Kalla

I am deploying the source and binary files in the same .jar. When I try and set up a project reference in Eclipse it doesn’t seem to work properly.

I don’t think that is going to work, you need to have those two things uncompressed.

Everything seems to be fine until I need to run in debug mode. I have ant scripts to deploy the bin and src folders for each project which also copies these files to the lib directory of the needing project. (I know I should make the needing project copy the file, but that’s outside the scope of this problem).

Ahh, ok so you have completely removed MyEclipse from this process of managing this code and have everything in JAR format such that Eclipse cannot lookup the source code. I would suggest setting up each project so you had a /src directory and an output directory, other /bin or WebRoot/WEB-INF/classes for web projects (Which will automatically be setup). Your source needs to be indexable and searchable by eclipse for it to work during debugging.

#248475 Reply

I have pointed eclipse at the source code. I have always done it this way in the past. You said that I removed MyEclipse from this process…how would MyEclipse handle this type of situation?

#248515 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Doug,
    I think I just misunderstood your setup. I’ve re-read this thread trying to get refocused on the issue here and this is a tell-tale sign that something funky is up:

I think this may be an issue with trying to step through code that has been imported as a .jar file. I am also having this problem while testing code, via running as a java application. Maybe I am not doing something right in the ide that is causing this issue. Could you give me any pointers on how I might set up my workspace to link the source for two projects in the same workspace?

If Java debugging is acting wonky in general then we can try a few things.

1) Create a new Java project, add a class with a main method that has 2 lines, like String s = “hello world” and then another line that prints it out. Set a breakpoint on the 2nd line (printout) and debug it, does it break properly or is it offset as well?

If it didn’t break correctly then I’d like us to try a new workspace, which I outlined in my march 7th post originally and wasn’t clear if you did that or not. I’d also like to clarify (as some other users have been confused by this) that when I outlined a “clean reinstall” from March 7th, that means brand new directories for Eclipse and MyEclipse, you *cannot* reunzip versions of these ontop of old installs or use the same workspace. If you did that may explain why your debugging is offset.

If you did follow all my instructions and everything is new and debugging is still offset that is typically because a clean rebuild of all the projects is needed and the binary and source is outta whack with eachother. Let me know what you find with my ltitle test above and then the new workspace. If you would like help setting up the projects correclty, please outline them for me, and let me know who relies on what and what each kind of project is.

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 18 (of 18 total)
Reply To: problems stepping through code in debug

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in