facebook

Reverse Typing XML Editor Bug in 3.6.x [Closed]

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

hatleyt

ditto for me….no other plugins, Eclipse 3.0.0 id 200308281813, MyEclipse 3.6.2, on WindowsXP pro, sdk 1.4.2. The problem is intermitten, in that at times it works ok, other times it starts typing backwards. Can actually jump from correct behavior to incorrect behavior within editing the same line.
    In trying to recreate the behavior, I copied an xml file that demonstrated the behavior to a new xml file, and the new xml file did not display the strange behavior (while editing). I did notice that the new xml file did not display any colors for the tags, all standard font normally used for the data between the tags. On the file that demonstrates the behavior, the colors green and black can be used within the same word, such as “<servlet-class>servlets.ProtectedServlet</servlet-class>” where the tags are purple<?>, ‘servlets.ProtectedSer’ is black, and ‘vlet’ is green. It’s almost like a keystroke combination triggers the behavior. It is strange that colors show in one version, while no colors whatsoever (other than black) show in a duplicate version.
    I’ll try to pay more attention to when/how it starts, and post more info…

#199337 Reply

ntkach

I noticed the same problem. I did find that the “reverse input” behavior seems to happen if you create a new xml file using the new xml file wizard and delete all text on the page that comes up. However, I found that if you leave the default text there, move your cursor in between the <xml-body> tags, and start typing then you will find that the reverse editing does not happen. For what it’s worth I also have the same errors as one of the previous postings (the one with all the Assertion Failed statements).

#199341 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

That description was enough for us to replicate the problem and create an entry in our internal tracking system. We’ll get it addressed in a subsequent service release. Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks to all for the diligent work in figuring out how to reproduce it.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199496 Reply

I was hoping this problem to be fixed in 3.6.3 release, but its not.
    disappointing..

#199504 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Unfortunately it was isolated after the freeze date for the 3.6.3 build. To fix it would’ve delayed the rollout by several days and there were already some critical capabilities that management felt needed to go out sooner rather than later.

Sorry, but we’ll get it in the next one.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#199960 Reply

Bump – bug still present in 3.6.4

Way too annoying. Went out and grabbed XMLBuddy plugin. If you guys are looking for an XML plugin to incorporate, this is a good one. I especially like being able to hit “validate” on a file and have it check the xml against the DTD and show errors.

#199962 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Bump – bug still present in 3.6.4

Yes, it’s still there. 3.6.4 was rushed out in order to address some rather serious issues with the JSP editor, so all the development resources went to that.

The November release will correct this because we’re bringing out a new and greatly improved XML editor as part of our Struts support. Sorry for the delay, but it just didn’t make sense to invest the hours in finding and fixing this, when it only occurs on 3.0M4, when the entire editor is being replaced so soon.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200186 Reply

Don Laidlaw

I am also experiencing this one, and it is very frustrating. I have to edit all XML files in the text editor. The ant script editor does not seem to have the problem (when editing build.xml) but that is not a MyEclipse provided editor – it is a standard Eclipse editor

Windows XP English
    Eclipse 3.0.0 200310101454
    MyEclipse 3.6.3 200310201200

No other plugins. Was a fresh Eclipse install and a fresh MyEclipse install on top of it.

-Don

#200217 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Don,

I apologize that this is frustrating you. In our tests, we’ve only been able to reproduce this problem by completely selecting and deleting all text in a document generated with the wizard. If you don’t do that, it doesn’t seem to occur much, in our experiments. But, you sound like you’re running into it rather often

In the next release (2.7 / 3.7), we’re completely replacing the XML editor so our management decided that they’d rather have us focus on the new functionality then spend a few hours running something down in an obsolete component that only affects the experimental version (3.x), especially since it seemed to take us quite a bit of work to make it occur at all.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#200281 Reply

qasim

When is the next release due?

#200285 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Most likely the week after Thanksgiving. Or, to those of you not in the US, first week of December.

–Scott
    MyEclipse Support

#201965 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

3.7 uses a new XML editor so I’m closing this bug.

#224428 Reply

zlyon

By the looks of the date of the last post in this thread my issue is a blast from the past. I’m seeing this bug occasionally in the JSP Editor in 3.8.4. When it happens it also has the following symptoms: Changes don’t enable the Save button; If you go into the text editor in Eclipse, make the change and save, then open the JSP back up in the JSP Editor those changes aren’t reflected. Closing Eclipse and reopening resolves the issue.

#224431 Reply

Riyad Kalla

zlyon,
    We had two users post with the same issue, it turned out for ONE of them that downgrading from JDK 5.0 to JDK 1.4.2_07 fixed the problem. For the OTHER one, he upgraded from 1.4.2_06 to 5.0 and that fixed the problem… so I would suggest doing whatever the opposite of what you have is 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
Reply To: Reverse Typing XML Editor Bug in 3.6.x [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in