facebook

UML Sequence Diagrams

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

jcreynol

I have to concur with everyone hear asking for this — especially with the person that said that one can’t even claim to support sequence diagrams, without allowing drag-n-drop… look at TogetherJ and some of the others to see how this is incorporated and useful. You should not only be able to specify which class is being acted upon, but which method(s) on that class are being called.

It would be helpful to hear from somebody at MyEclipse to know if this is something that you’re finally listening to as a must have, or if I should otherwise find a different tool.

Thanks, much!
    John 🙁

#261382 Reply

sjwright

If you’re looking for user feedback, I also need the drag & drop in a sequence diagram. I bought MyEclipse for some of the other features. I was very surprised/stunned that drag and drop is in the class diagram but not in the sequence diagram. I’ve hit a roadblock that’s going to cost me quite a few hours to get around.

#261672 Reply

Scott

I agree the support for UML is both spotty and buggy. I have been mostly satisfied with MyEclipse until recently. After several days of wasting time with the new UML support, I now discover it was the buggy tool at fault – not my lack of understanding UML! I am starting to see this product spread out to try and be all things to all technologies and as a result, not do anything well. Unless Genuitec can decide what the important Eclipse add-in features are and focus specifically on them, MyEclipse is doomed. I don’t see support for Struts 2 on the radar, yet there is development time for these buggy attempts to add more and more capabilities.

Guys — please decide what your core competencies are, and stick to them!

Scott Stanlick
    Software Architect
    Enterprise Rent-A-Car
    stanlick@gmail.com

#262495 Reply

musica

It would be useful if calls shown in sequence diagrams could be annotated with methods available in a receiving object.
    This could be achieved by having name property of the call being a dropdown populated with “available features” on the receiving object
    I am also disappointed that DnD between class and sequence diagrams hasn’t been implemented in 5.1.0

#262623 Reply

beltonin

Hi,
    I just started using MyEclipse (I just downloaded a trial version for evaluation) and I was disapoited trying to use the seguence diagram editor (the only feature I intend to use at the begining). I can not understand why to have a editor embeded in Eclipse when they do not interact at all. I do not mind whether you have DnD or not, but when creating a objec, a list of classes should be offered for naming the object; and when creating a message, a list of methods name (from the receiver object) should be offered to name this message. These seems reasonable features to expect from a eclipse embeded tool.
    Thanks,

#262990 Reply

ddaniels

Figured I’d voice my need to be able to use Sequence diagrams in MyEclipse.

We’ve been working on a source code base, where we have no design documentation, and are needing to produce designs for any future work, so we reverse engineering is an absolute must-have.

I’ve been very happy with MyEclipse ‘s ability to reverse engineer all the classes into class diagrams, but I’d really like to have the ability to do reverse engineered sequence diagrams, like you can do with Omondo:

http://www.tutorial-omondo.com/reverse/sequencereverse.html

Also another complaint that I have about MyEclipse’s UML support that is still an open issue, I want to be able to include compiled .class files in my class diagrams, to show relevant external library interfaces and inheritance relationships, for example I want to show which classes implement the MessageDrivenBean interface in my J2EE application.

Check out this thread for more details: Reverse Engineering class diagrams including Java EE

#263069 Reply

I’m a users who just paid his membership based on the sales pitch “supports sequence diagrams, reverse engineering”. Add me to the list of very disappointed engineers who won’t smile for at least a day.

So correct me if I am wrong but is it true at this stage that:

1.) you can’t reverse engineer unless you exclude sources which reference 3rd party classes (I get an error message and abort else).
    2.) you can’t use the classes added to the model via reverse engineer in a sequence diagram in any way.

is this REALLY, REALLY true ? 😯

#263235 Reply

wayne

Development team update:

0) this note is regarding work on the next release. The milestone release dates will be posted soon.

1) we are currently working to improve sequence diagram support
    – a bug in the model is preventing the diagram from recognizing DnD of classes in the model

2) rev-eng of sequence diagrams is something we will consider after resolving more basic usability issues

3) support for .class files has been added to the class diagram and we will be looking to better integrate that info in sequence diagrams. This work is in our development stream and has not been released yet.

4) For Scott Stanlick, we value your inputs and long time support and trust that you will be patient with us as we improve this and other feature sets. Regarding your concern for feature updates, the continued growth of MyEclipse is enabling us to expand our development team to address update of ME’s current features as well as pursue several new initiatives to better support the growing needs of individual developers and corporate developers.

Regards,

Wayne Parrott
    VP, Product Development
    Genuitec, LLC

#263813 Reply

BAI77

Hi,

Correct me if I’m wrong, but in order to generate code from or rev-eng sequence diagrams don’t you need to implement support for Options, Alternatives and Loops in seq. diag. as defined in UML 2?

It looks like many users take for granted certain features and don’t realize the impact of implementing them.
    This said, I hope that code generation and rev-eng of seq. diag. is available soon.

Regards,

Michel Dehennin

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
Reply To: UML Sequence Diagrams

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in