facebook

Any plans to make the ER diagrammer useful?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Tom

I’ve read several posts regarding lack of relationships at the db level. Unfortunately there is a lot of that out there. So, for the ER diagrammer to be useful, one needs the ability to record/define relationships after the schema import.

Are there any plans for this feature? If so when? I’m on the latest (just downloaded) release (5.0.1 GA Build 20060810-5.0.1-GA)

As it stands, it has limited functionality/value 🙁 to a data modeler.

Tom

#261180 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Tom,

The ERD currently presents a read only view of your Database schema. If you did have relationships in your schema, they will be represented in the diagram. Not sure if this is what you meant by “lack of relationships at the db level”. You may make changes to the diagram, but those changes will not be persisted in your schema.

On the modeling front, we are looking a integrating the recently introduced Table, Index and Relationship wizards (4.1.1) with the ERD, which will allow you create these elements graphically in the ERD and then have them reflected in your schema. Is this what you were looking for? This will not be in 5.0.3 but I’ll take it up with the management for a release post 5.0.3.

Best,
    Brian.

#261184 Reply

Tom

Brian,

Thanks for the prompt reply. By lack of relationships at the db level, I’m referring to the fact that many databases are built without relationships expressed in the db via constraints or triggers for various reasons. Therefore a read only view of the current “mess” is somewhat less than useful.

Not all development efforts start with a known database or data structure, and an ER design tool is a helpful thing. Additionally, sometimes concepts are developed from a data perspective and the model creation precedes the code generation. I guess when I read ” ER Diagram tool”, I assumed a tool, not a viewer and expected more functionality!

I’m fairly new to myeclipse, so can you point me to the product roadmap for the ER diagrammer tool? If no product roadmap, is there any indication/product feature/function matrix available that will let us know when and if the functionality will be added?

Thanks,
    tom

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Any plans to make the ER diagrammer useful?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in