facebook

Articles indicating 4.1 released

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Paul
    Participant

Clicked on Google News w/ out realizing ‘eclipse’ was still in the text box, and came across two news stories indicating 4.1 is out? Did these guys jump the gun a bit?

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2005/dec/1221098.htm
    http://au.sys-con.com/read/162614.htm

I’ve got that I’m 10-yrs old and it’s almost Christmas feeling….

#243060 Reply

Greg

If you notice in that first article it says at the end that it will be available Dec 15, so we still have until Thursday :). Actually we want to make sure things are a little more polished before releasing. Believe me it will be worth it. I just got finished playing around with the new javascript debugger, its pretty neat. The new hibernate+spring integration is really nice as well. We are looking forward to giving it to our users.

#243089 Reply

hmmm , seems to be the 15th today …

#243101 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The last I heard from management, and Greg may have spoken earlier with them, was that we are keeping 4.1 until after the new year. Instead we are releasing M2 on (or around) the 15th which is going to be a feature-complete version of 4.1, testing very heavily internally but not run through by our users yet. We would encourage anyone that could to bang on M2 when it comes out and let us know how things are working.

NOW, I know there are going to be quite a few folks reading this saying “ahhh DAMNIT, why’d they do that” believe me, it was for *you* all. I don’t know how many folks were here when we made out 3.8.0 release, but that was a real-life D-Day for us. We tested that release somewhat-heavily internally and then bam, just released it… was the messiest/buggiest release we’ve ever done and we paid for it… big time. No one went anywhere around here for a month, just sat in their seats in the office coding non-stop, until we had patched up enough of the problems to go home to our long forgotten families.

That being said, we taking testing so damn seriously now that M2 has already gone through 7 internal releases, as opposed to 1 or maybe 2 in the past, and in addition to that, we are making the release on (or around) the 15th the M2 release so we still let our users give us all the bug reports we need to make sure they all get into 4.1. We will never make the same mistake again and make a buggy release, even if that means slipping release dates.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Articles indicating 4.1 released

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in