facebook

Beginner Query

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Matisse/Swing UI Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

garethk

Hi,
    I have been developing Java Web apps (Servlets, JSP’s) and simple command line java apps for a few years, and have developed in VB in tthe past. I am now trying to develop my first Swing app, and was hoping to use Matisse.
    Not sure where to start though. Do I use JDesktop Pane, multiple Frames, multiple forms, etc?
    Basically what I want is an app with a menu bar. It will default to a DB lookup screen, but will have buttons to add/modify/delete which will all display a different screen/dialog.
    There will also be other options from the menu bar which will display other screens, for creating lists, exporting to files, etc.
    Saw a cardlayout example which looked quite neat.
    Also tried dialogs, but they shouldnt really be used for pop up data entry screens, right?
    Any advice greatly appreciated
    Gareth

#272823 Reply

Loyal Water
    #272843 Reply

garethk

Hi,
    Read through that a few days ago. Can follow it.
    Just need to know the best way to create an app where theres a main form, but other forms are required to open up if a button is clicked, menu item selected, etc.

#272870 Reply

Riyad Kalla

garethk,
    You will want:

1. JFrame will be the root of your main window.
    2. Yes, JDialog should only be used for popup data.
    3. You can add your JMenuBar to the JFrame and start adding JMenus (File/Edit/Help) and JMenuItems (Open, Save, Exit) to those menus

I think what you want to search for is a good Swing Tutorial otherwise you will just have questions at each step of the process. Sun has a pretty good one and I’m sure there are a lot online.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Beginner Query

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in