facebook

Breakpoint works but behaviour not correct [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Hiya,

first the formal stuff 😉

Eclipse 2.13 (Build id: 200403101828) on Windows XP SP1.
    P4 with hyperthreading
    Startup args: -Xms384M -Xmx512M
    MyEclipse Version: 2.7.101 (Build id: 200405181900-2.8-Beta1)
    JDK 1.4.2.04 (everywhere)
    Plugins: hyperModel; JFaceDB; AspectJ
    Tomcat 5.025.
    No Struts 🙁

Tested on a fresh installation (no Sysdeo plugin etc.).

Hope that’s enough at the moment? Now the problem:

A static method is called from a “controller” servlet. This method resides resides in a different class.

I put a breakpoint in this method and generally Eclipse accepts it. Also I put a System.out.println(“value: ” + String.valueOf(assumeThisTheName)); line into it for debugging issues.

Now it comes: Starting Tomcat through the IDE (debug mode) goes fine. The breakpoint is even accepted: The line is highlighted and Eclipse stops at the breakpoint line.
    But stepping over (F6 key or UI) doesn’t work at all – curly braces are ignored as well as sometimes the cursers jumps back as when going through a loop.

Also instead of the printout mentioned above nothing is printed out.
    Eclipse log does not show anything.

Strange is also, that debugging the servlet itself does not end in this behaviour.

Thought of a synchronisation problem so I rebuilt, redeployed etc. – no change. Also changed all deployment options.

Any idea what this means? Thanks in advance for your help!!!

Greetings,

Karsten

#210106 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Karsten,
    I just create a new Web Module Project, and create a new Servlet called “TestServlet” and let ME generated all the methods, then at the top of the doGet method I added a “System.out.println(“Debugging!”)” and deployed/ran the app. Then I connected to http://localhost:8080/TestWeb/servlet/TestServlet and everything worked as expected, I stepped through each line of the method and all that jazz.

A few things to check, are you SURE Eclipse is being run with JDK 1.4.2_04? Drop to a command line and type “java -version”, also make sure Tomcat is being run with the same version.

If you have JDK 1.3 installed and running anywhere or are using an old version of 1.4 with Eclipse or Tomcat that would explain the funky behavior.

#210111 Reply

Riyad,

wow – you’re superfast! Thanks for your answer.

Well, I investigated and found that there was under TOMCAT_ROOT/webapps a /ROOT folder containing an old deployment of the webapp. I deleted that and changed my webapps settings having / as the webapp root which is ok for me.

DOH!

Now it works fine. JDK 1.4.2._04 is used and therefore not an issue here. But a good hint which I’ll keep in mind.

Thank you very much and keep on going whith your great plugin and this incredible support!!!

Cheers,

Karsten

#210112 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Hey good detective work, I’m glad its working now!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Breakpoint works but behaviour not correct [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in