facebook

Building Workspace SLOW!

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

jim5359

I haven’t totally determined if this problem is specifically related to MyEclipse v4.0 M2 or with Eclipse v3.1 in general. But my colleague and I have been having this problem where after a period of use anytime we save a file of any type (JSP, JAVA, XML) Eclipse gives us the message “Building Workspace 0%” and it just hangs there for about 20-30 seconds. And this process seems to take over Eclipse, so if I try saving another file or starting up the application server I get a message saying that Eclipse is busy and I have to wait until it’s complete.

The weird thing is that the problem goes away if I close down Eclipse and restart. But then it eventually appears again. Sometimes within a few minutes, sometimes I can go 30 minutes before the problem re-appears and I have to shut down. This is extremely annoying and I never had this problem with Eclipse v3.0.x and MyEclipse v3.8.4, so the problem must be one of those two. But I haven’t seen anyone report this problem as a general Eclipse 3.1 problem, so I’m more likely to think it’s a MyEclipse v4.0 M2 issue.

Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
    Jim

#233770 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim,
    This sounds like a garbage collection cycle occuring, what command line arguments are you using to run MYEclipse? We suggest atleast: -vmargs -Xmx256m to avoid really long GC cycles like this.

#233822 Reply

rateoty

hello,

I’ve encountered the same problem but don’t think it is a simple memory issue, since I’m using -Xmx512M. If I wont switch off automatic build, it wouldn’t be possible to do productive work (WinXP SP2, same configuration as mentioned above, P4 2,8 GHz, 1GB memory).

Regards Jürgen

#233842 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jurgen,
    Please tell us what versions of Eclipse, MyEclipse, what other plugins, how many open projects and how big your project is.

#233884 Reply

rateoty

hello,

Eclipse Version: 3.1.0 Build id: I20050627-1435
    MyEclipse 4.0M2 Build-Id 20050627

No other plugins, most times just one open project, a rather big one, but havent counted the number of files yet.

regards Jürgen

#233921 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jurgen,
    Are you having the exact same problem (saving individual files sometimes takes forever) or are you saying that building your project just takes a long time?

#233964 Reply

jim5359

FYI, the versions I am using:

Eclipse Version: 3.1.0 Build id: I20050627-1435
    MyEclipse Version: 3.9.210 Build id: 20050627-4.0-Milestone-2

The only plug-in I’m using besides MyEclipse is Hibernate Synchronizer v3.0.1.

Also, I’ve tried running garbage collection manually, but that does not seem to solve the problem. I have to completely shut down Eclipse and reload for the problem to go away (temporarily).

Thanks.

#233966 Reply

jim5359

I forgot to mention, my startup options for Eclipse are:

-vmargs -Xmx512M

I have 1GB of RAM on my Windows XP machine. I’ve also tried increasing the startup to -Xmx1024M but it doesn’t seem to make a difference.

Thanks.
    Jim

#233970 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim none of us can reproduce this behavior locally. Can you try and describe a typically work day for us? Do you spent all day in a certain editor, deploying, building, etc? We are investigating this, so any more detail will be helpful.

#234010 Reply

rateoty

hello,
    sorry for the delay..

>Are you having the exact same problem (saving individual files sometimes
    > takes forever) or are you saying that building your project just takes a
    >long time?

it takes a long time to build. And, if I want to save a file and havent switched off automatic building, it runs into the problem of the OP – it starts building the workspace before eventually the file is saved.

regards Jürgen

#234028 Reply

jim5359

@support-rkalla wrote:

Can you try and describe a typically work day for us? Do you spent all day in a certain editor, deploying, building, etc?

I don’t believe the project I have been working on is that large. Probably around 500 classes. It is using Struts, Spring & Hibernate. I use Hibernate Synchronizer to build the Hibernate/Spring DAO classes. But I’ve tried uninstalling Hibernate Syncrhonizer and it does not seem to help the slow building build problem.

I am using Java 5 and Tomcat 5. I have my compiler compliance level set to Java 5. I usually have MyEclipse validation turned completely off for all file types, but I’ve tried both ways and it doesn’t seem to affect the slow workspace build problem.

I am often switching between editing Java, JSP & Struts Config files and almost always have Tomcat running. I only restart Tomcat when I have to. I also am frequently using the debugger with breakpoints.

BTW, on Friday I tried uninstalling MyEclipse and working with just plain Eclipse for most of the day. The slow workspace problem did not show it’s ugly head. This morning I reinstalled MyEclipse and within about 20 minutes of working the slow workspace build problem showed up again. So it appears the problem is definitely related to MyEclipse. Perhaps it is a bug in Eclipse, but the bug only shows up when using MyEclipse.

Another note, originally when I upgraded to Eclipse 3.1 I continued to use my 3.0.2 workspace. I tried creating a brand new Eclipse 3.1 workspace and the problem still exists.

Let me know if I can provide any further information.

Thanks,
    Jim

#234029 Reply

gthought

I’d just like to add that I have had similar behavior without using MyEclipse at all. I believe the problem lies with Eclipse 3.1.

#234031 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim & QThought,
    Thank you for the input. We used to have an issue like this because of the indexer that shipped with WTP, but it was taken out back and shot multiple times before we had it fixed completely in 3.8.2, this is the only report we are aware of with this type of behavior still occuring, I have filed an issue for us to look into. Hopefully this just “disappears” with a future maintenence build, but we’ll see what we can find.

#234065 Reply

arnd

Maybe your problem is related to this?
    https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=103047
    I had a similar problem and found the solution in the thread above.
    The solution was moving my projects and all included jars from a network drive to my local harddrive.

#234074 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Jim / QThought,
    Can either of you confirm this?

arnd, thank you for the link.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
Reply To: Building Workspace SLOW!

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in