facebook

can’t start eclipse after upgrade [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

yukster

After an update to 3.8.2 I can’t start eclipse…

First, I got:

!SESSION Oct 10, 2004 23:42:24.218 ---------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=I200408122000
    java.version=1.5.0
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Oct 10, 2004 23:42:24.218
    !MESSAGE Startup error
    !STACK 1
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Bundle initial@reference:file:c:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.1.0/ was not resolved.
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startBundles(EclipseStarter.java:824)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.loadBasicBundles(EclipseStarter.java:439)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.startup(EclipseStarter.java:222)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:127)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Oct 10, 2004 23:42:24.234
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.1/ [191] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi Oct 10, 2004 23:42:24.234
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.apache.ant_1.6.2/ was picked instead.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Oct 10, 2004 23:42:24.250
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ant.core_3.0.0/ [193] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi Oct 10, 2004 23:42:24.250
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.ant.core_3.1.0/ was picked instead.

… plus more “entries” for what looks like the rest of my plugins.

I tried deleting the .link file under links as mentioned in a previous forum thread but it didn’t work. So, I tried starting eclipse with the “-clean” option and then I got:

!SESSION Oct 10, 2004 23:57:57.343 ---------------------------------------------
    eclipse.buildId=I200408122000
    java.version=1.5.0
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US

!ENTRY update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime.compatibility_3.0.0/ 0 0 Oct 10, 2004 23:57:57.343
    !MESSAGE FrameworkEvent.ERROR
    !STACK 0
    org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The BundleLoader could not be found: org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.0.0
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.initialize(BundleLoader.java:168)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.<init>(BundleLoader.java:119)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.getBundleLoader(BundleHost.java:632)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoaderProxy.getBundleLoader(BundleLoaderProxy.java:68)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.getProvidersFor(BundleLoader.java:867)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findRequiredClass(BundleLoader.java:903)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:399)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.adaptor.core.AbstractClassLoader.loadClass(AbstractClassLoader.java:93)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.loadClass(BundleLoader.java:307)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.loadClass(BundleHost.java:336)
        at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.loadClass(AbstractBundle.java:1313)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:131)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:124)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.registry.ConfigurationElement.createExecutableExtension(ConfigurationElement.java:113)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:331)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:183)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:644)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:628)

plus a bunch more of that same exception.

Anyone know what’s up?

Ben

#217349 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ben,

First, we don’t support or test on the milestone builds for Eclipse 3.1.0 because of the unstable nature of the platform at this time. So, I’d suggest that you install a fresh copy of Eclipse 3.0.1 and then install MyEclipse on top of that to minimize any problems with your enviornment going forward. Once you’ve done that, you can then point the new installation to your existing workspace.

#217379 Reply

yukster

Well, the problem with that attitude is that your product worked fine under eclipse 3.1 up until I “upgraded” it.

I call it an “attitutude” because, rather than saying “well, we’re not technically supporting 3.1 because it’s not yet an official eclipse release but here’s some things you can check (since this is similar to other problems that have cropped up)” you simply say “too bad so sad… no Java 1.5 development for you until we feel like supporting eclipse 3.1”.

The point is that the version of eclipse is the same, what has changed is the version of myEclipse. It would seem that there was simply a configuration error on the part of your installer program (why in the world did you waste the development effort to create an installer program for a plugin to an application that makes installing plugins as easy as unzipping a file?).

And going back to 3.01 isn’t just a problem of slipping back a version. I have a number of other plugins, so I’ll have to track those down and reinstall them too.

In any case, I find simply refusing to provide any help whatsoever unfortunate. But, I guess that’s the difference between paid support and community support… with paid it’s “we’ll figure out your problem no matter what, as long as you use what we tell you to” and with community it’s lots of “hmm, try this…”.

Ben

#217383 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Well, the problem with that attitude is that your product worked fine under eclipse 3.1 up until I “upgraded” it.

Ben, I think you might have read too much into Scott’s quick reply… the team is under a lot of pressure recently and the devs are running at full hilt (Scott is one of them) so when they reply quick like this it definately doesn’t mean “piss off, see you in hell” he’s probably just trying to give you some sort of lead or suggestion and try and get back to coding at the same time… believe me, our customers are our most important resource, if ANY of us were to tell you guys to “piss off” in one way or another, I’m pretty sure we’d be shot… and then kicked… and then shot again by management.

“well, we’re not technically supporting 3.1 because it’s not yet an official eclipse release but here’s some things you can check (since this is similar to other problems that have cropped up)”

I don’t know if you were a user during our Eclipse 2.x and Eclipse 3.x transition drama… it was a *NIGHTMARE*… we had half of our users screaming “Support official releases! and give us more features!” and the other half screaming “Support Eclipse 3, everyone uses it, spend all your time porting and fixing API breakages”… the team (which is relatively small) wasted SO MUCH TIME trying to keep compatible Eclipse 3.0 releases during the M2-8 and RC builds… we had such a horrific time doing it, and wasted so much development/bug fixing time that we vowed never to do it again until Eclipse was in a release candidate stage. That way we can focus our small team on very specific tasks, instead of more wishy-washy time sinks like we have in the past… we just don’t have the resources now to do that (we know, we are terrible people and a handful of users will hate us for it… but we need to stay focused on quality).

(why in the world did you waste the development effort to create an installer program for a plugin to an application that makes installing plugins as easy as unzipping a file?).

It’s not a replacement for, its in addition to… you can install MyEclipse via the installer (easiest for new users), the Manual install (just unzip), or the archived update site install (for Network managers).

In any case, I find simply refusing to provide any help whatsoever unfortunate.

No no, its definately not that. Its just that we don’t know… we have to turn a blind eye to Eclipse 3.1 until they get closed to RC cycles… until then our entire team is heads-down on MyEclipse with features lists like a mile long. We know you guys want to get jiggy with JDK 5.0 and we want to help, but right now isn’t the right time for us. Eclipse 3.1 is slated for a release around May of next year, there is still too much that can change on us for us to even consider it (management resource juggling… this is tough stuff to strike a nice balance).

Again, we are sorry you got this impression, Scott was actually trying to help by giving you some ‘clean slate’ ideas that usually help most users, but in a rush I can see how it sounded trite… I assure you it wasn’t (or else we’ll FLOG HIM!)

#217387 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Ben,

First, let me apologize for the way my initial reply sounded. What Riyad said in his post is definately true; I flashed back to the horrendous time we had supporting all manner of broken 3.0 milestone builds and gave you a reply that was basically “don’t touch that, it’s hot and I’ve been burned before”.

However, if you were happy with 3.8.1 on Eclipse 3.1, then 3.8.2 should work just as well on it. The problem you’re experiencing is likely caused by a bug or two in the Eclipse update mechanism. I know several of these were fixed in 3.0.1 but I don’t know if the fixes have been migrated to the 3.1 builds yet. If 3.8.1 worked fine for you, then I’d suggest avoiding the upgrade and doing a fresh installation of 3.1 and 3.8.2 in parallel to your existing install. That should work around any updater / config caching bugs and get you back to where you were before.

#217421 Reply

yukster

I appreciate the explanation and I also apologize if I got a little testy in my reply (hadn’t had my coffee yet). I totally understand that you can’t officially support something that’s still a moving target (and won’t be out until May!?!?! really?!?!?).

I was just hoping for even some hints… like, let me ask you this: I was also running the IBM WTP plug-ins. I noticed that the stuff in the myEclipse plug-in folder was IBM stuff too. Might this have screwed something up?

Also, the log messages seem to be mostly about missing resources… might this just be a misconfigured path issue?

Hmm, I do see, however, that all the entries after the stack traces are like this:

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi Oct 11, 2004 08:45:20.437
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.team.cvs.core_3.0.0/ [425] was not resolved.
    !SUBENTRY 1 org.eclipse.osgi Oct 11, 2004 08:45:20.437
    !MESSAGE Bundle update@/c:/eclipse/plugins/org.eclipse.team.cvs.core_3.1.0/ was picked instead.

which suggests that maybe there is a version 3 vs 3.1 issue after all. The weird thing is that the old myEclipse worked just fine. (I should stop saying that actually, cuz there were a number of bugs… that’s why I was so keen on upgrading it.)

Anyway, if you have any thoughts or suggestions for stuff to try, I’d love to hear it. If not, I suppose I’ll just try unzipping a new copy of 3.1 and trying the installer against that… and if it still doesn’t work I’ll go back to 3.01 for now.

Thanks again for your replies. It’s appreciated.

Ben[/i]

#217427 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Ben,
    The WTP editor thing might do it… MyEclipse already integrated the WTP editors and did MAJOR bug fixing and optimizations to them… we had talked internally about the situation of installing ME along side WTP… but we never tested it… maybe a clean test install of Eclipse 3.1 might shed some light on this?

#217430 Reply

yukster

Riyad,

Well, I unzipped a fresh copy of eclipse 3.1 and ran the 3.82 installer against it… everything seems to be fine, though I haven’t put any of my other plugins back in. Although, actually, I see you’ve incorporated the xml stuff from the IBM plugins, so I won’t need that. I can probably get away with just the sysdeo tomcat plugin and the spring plugin. I’ll try to get back to you in a day or two and let you know if I’ve run into any problems.

Sorry for all the hassle…

Ben

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: can’t start eclipse after upgrade [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in