facebook

cannot find Database Explorer

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

ppine1

Hi,
    I have MyEclipse 3.8.4 and Eclipse 3.1. When I go to Window > Preferences > MyEclipse I don’t see any Database Explorer item. Likewise, there is no Database Perspetive either.

Do I need to do anything special to enable Database Explorer?

thanks,
    Marina

#230528 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Marina,
    What were the names of the files you used to a) install Eclipse and b) install MyEclipse?

#230537 Reply

ppine1

The names of the files were:
    eclipse-SDK-3.1M4-win32.zip
    EnterpriseWorkbenchInstaller_030804_3.1Beta.exe

Thanks!

#230540 Reply

Riyad Kalla

This is very odd, those versions should work with eachother.

When I go to Window > Preferences > MyEclipse I don’t see any Database Explorer item.

What *do* you see listed under the “MyEclipse” item?

Likewise, there is no Database Perspetive either.

Double check for me: Window > Open Perspective > Other… > MyEclipse Database Explorer

not there?

Double check your log file <workspace dir>\.metadata\.log for exceptions that could clue us into what is going on here.

#230546 Reply

ppine1

>>What *do* you see listed under the “MyEclipse” item?

I see pretty much everything else: Application Servers, bugzilla, Editors, Internet Tools, J2EE Tools, Project capabilities, Subscription, XDoclet.

>>Double check for me: Window > Open Perspective > Other… > MyEclipse Database Explorer
    >>not there?

No, I don’t have this perspective.

I tried to look into the .log – but it is 400M and I pretty much hung my PC trying to open it 🙂

Should I try to re-install MyEclipse? Will I loose all my settings if I do?

thanks!

#230548 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I tried to look into the .log – but it is 400M and I pretty much hung my PC trying to open it 🙂

Hahah, you can shut down MyEclipse, erase this file then start it back up and check it. It is just recreated if one is missing.

Should I try to re-install MyEclipse? Will I loose all my settings if I do?

Let’s see if the log sheds any light, then I’ll have you try a new workspace (File > Switch Workspace > C:\tempworkspace) and see if that helps. If that doesn’t, then we are going to try and reinstall Eclipse and MyEclipse.

#230560 Reply

ppine1

The only error I see in the .log file is this:
    !SESSION 2005-06-02 15:49:23.265 ———————————————–
    eclipse.buildId=I20041216-2000
    java.version=1.4.2_06
    java.vendor=Sun Microsystems Inc.
    BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
    Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ant.ui 4 120 2005-06-02 15:49:23.265
    !MESSAGE Error logged from Ant UI:
    !STACK 0
    org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException
    at org.eclipse.jface.text.AbstractLineTracker.getLineDelimiter(AbstractLineTracker.java:350)
    at org.eclipse.jface.text.AbstractDocument.getLineDelimiter(AbstractDocument.java:792)
    at org.eclipse.ant.internal.ui.model.AntModel.getLastCharColumn(AntModel.java:888)
    at org.eclipse.ant.internal.ui.model.AntModel.computeOffsetUsingPrefix(AntModel.java:859)
    at org.eclipse.ant.internal.ui.model.AntModel.computeOffsetUsingPrefix(AntModel.java:859)
    at …

But it keeps filling up my .log exponentially, I bet that’s why it grew to 400M in the first place…
    I’m not sure if it is related to the Database Explorer in some way.

I tried switching worspaces – the same problem.

If I reinstall both Eclipse and MyEclipse – would I be able to save all my configuration settings?

Thanks!
    MArina

#230591 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Marina,
    Yes this is definately an install issue (not terribly surprising since M4 and Beta are both early betas so there will be bugs). We always encourage our users to stay with stable releases of Everything (Eclipse 3.0.2 and MyEclipse 3.8.4) but if you need the latest and greatest, you can grab Eclipse 3.1M7 (not RC1) and MyEclipse 3.8.4 Beta for M7 then go ahead and install those.

Note, there are known bugs in this beta including JSP validation is broken (doesn’t happen) AND there are problems opening some dialogs (XDoclet, JDBC Driver configuration and one other). So again, if you need to be productive and not waste time with bugs, we encourage only using stable releases.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: cannot find Database Explorer

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in