facebook

Chat not working

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

axbu
    Participant

Hi,

for me the chat feature does not work (yeah, knwo it’s experimental)

I attached a screenshot of my chat window. When i look at your screenshots it seems like there is always a little welcome message which i do not see.
    i see just the window and i get no answers or anything.
    I highlight some code and “/explain” does nothing.
    The same when i try via menu where i can select “explain this”, “fix this” etc. It does nothing.
    I can share the chat logs via PM (don’t want to post them here as there are private code parts logged and my username)

Regards

#700844 Reply

axbu
    Participant

screenshot

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    #700846 Reply

axbu
    Participant

i tested in another eclipse IDE also (Stm32CubeIDE)
    There is the same behaviour

#700847 Reply

axbu
    Participant

current version

Attachments:
    #700849 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Hi there – sorry to hear the chat isn’t working for you. I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the inline assistance via ghost text working for you? (i.e. if you look for suggestions within the editor area, not using chat)
    2) What version of Windows are you on?
    3) You can DM your logs to me, or email them to support@genuitec.com with a link to this ticket for tracking.

Thanks!

#700860 Reply

axbu
    Participant

1) yep, this is working fine. Also with the newest version where chat does not work
    2) Windows 11 Enterprise Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621

#700880 Reply

larswunderlich
    Participant

I have also problems opening up the experimental editor (using v1.2.x EA) in Eclipse. Opening the viewer I get later the error message:
    http://192.168.***.**:53388/chat/chat.html?chatSessionId=1714918981470. Page load failed with error: Could not connect to the server.”
    I played a bit around with the URL in my browser, but couldn’t achieve anything. Even a restart of Eclipse (Version: 2024-03 (4.31.0)
    Build id: 20240307-1437) didn’t help, even though a few days ago the chat still worked.
    Taking a look at the log I couldn’t find the real reason. I get the error. Even though I had more than 1k error entries from copilot4eclipse
    “…
    !ENTRY com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse 4 0 2024-05-05 10:51:22.639
    !MESSAGE Request checkStatus failed with message: connect ENETUNREACH 140.82.121.5:443 – Local (0.0.0.0:62830)
    …”
    The latest message which might help to understand the issue with the http server (I suppose the viewer connects to a local http server which is not running properly on my machine anymore).
    “…
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.core.jobs 2 2 2024-05-05 16:02:38.966
    !MESSAGE Job found still running after platform shutdown. Jobs should be canceled by the plugin that scheduled them during shutdown: com.genuitec.copilot4eclipse.chat.ui.JettyService$1
    !SESSION 2024-05-05 16:02:59.482 ———————————————–”
    So, maybe a bug in the viewer editor handling internally, I also couldn’t make it run by closing the viewer and opening it up again.

Attachments:
    #700882 Reply

larswunderlich
    Participant

At least for me a complete reboot of the machine helped. Maybe I would have found the process in the background which went wild and resisted to stop after Eclipse exit. However, it’s not completely surprising that at least fixed this issue with the chat for me. Maybe, other people experience other problems.

Attachments:
    #700888 Reply

axbu
    Participant

ok, i disabled copilot completly in the last week because i had the other bug again where the server is not reachable and everything is slowed down.

today i started eclipse and the chat works fine! now i can see also the welcome message and the comands are working.
    i did reboot often in the last week already so i’m not exactly sure what did fix the problem in the end.

btw is there are reason why in the menu via copilot session status the version is “1.180.0” and via the help -> About -> … it is “1.2.0.202404301338-EA1” ?

#700889 Reply

wayne

@axbu
    I’m glad to hear Chat is working for you now.

1. You mentioned disabling Copilot4Eclipse to avoid sluggishness when the connection to Copilot was spoty or erroring out. Did disabling Copilot4Eclipse in this situation resolve the sluggishness?

2. In the Copilot4Eclipse dialog the version info is for the copilot api. I can see the ambiguity and have opened a request to the team to clarify the version info.

Wayne
    Copilot4Eclipse Team

#700891 Reply

axbu
    Participant

1.) yep, it helped and removed the delays
    one thing i realized just now: i was missing some button to disable copilot with one click and not have to go into the menu(which is not that easy because everything is so sluggish). Now i see these “buttons” do exist but when the IDE cannot connect to the copilot service these menu entries are missing. There was no “disable Completions” & no “disable completions for c++”

When i run into that state again i will make a screenshot

Attachments:
    #700904 Reply

wayne

@axbu
    This info very helpful.

We plan to handle such situations much better in the near future. The current sluggishness you have experienced is due to the remote calls to GitHub Copilot services running very slow and timing out for numerous code suggestion requests. Using the “Disable Completions” action or temporarily disabling the language ID in the preferences for your primary coding languages is your near-term work-around (hack) for when the communication channel with GitHub Copilot services are laggy or hanging up. We will improve Copilot4Eclipse’s ability to work in degraded environments soon.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Chat not working

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in