facebook

[Closed] Cannot Connect to Daffodil One$DB with DB Ex

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

I have a Daffodil One$DB instance running as a server on one machine and I’m trying to connect as a client from a different machine over a network using the MyEclipse Database Explorer. I’m getting a message box when I try to connect, which says, “Error while trying to login to database: null”.

I wrote a small class to test the connection, and it works fine. The Class and Connection lines are:

Class.forName (“in.co.daffodil.db.rmi.RmiDaffodilDBDriver”);
    Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection
    (“jdbc:daffodilDB://<IP Address>:3456/School;create=true”,”daffodil”,”daffodil”);

“daffodil” is the default username and password.

This is the same driver I use in the Database Explorer when I add the new driver. The Driver Class Name combo box correctly lists the JDBC class I need, which is the same one that is in my Class.forName line above.

I’ve tried this same process on the machine running the database instance, and using “localhost” instead of the IP address, and it worked fine, so it seems to be a network issues. Any ideas on what could be the problem?

What JDK version are you using to run Eclipse? Java 1.5.0
    What JDK version are you using to launch your application server? Java 1.5.0

– System Setup ——————————-
    Operating System and version: Windows XP Professional
    Eclipse version: Eclipse 3.1.0
    Eclipse build id: I20050627-1435
    Fresh Eclipse install (y/n): Y
    Other installed external plugins:Visual SourceSafe plugin
    Number of plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*: 4
    MyEclipse version: 4.0.1
    Eclipse JDK version: 1.5
    Application Server JDK version: 1.5
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? Yes, see below

If this is a DB related question please answer the following:

RDBMS vendor and version: Daffodil One$DB version 4.0
    JDBC driver vendor and version, and access type (thin, type-2, etc):
    Connection URL: jdbc:daffodilDB://<IP Address>:3456/School;create=true”,”daffodil”,”daffodil”
    Eclipse error logs related to com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer packages:
    !ENTRY com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer 4 4 2005-10-28 14:12:15.927
    !MESSAGE Error while trying to login to database
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at net.sourceforge.squirrel_sql.fw.sql.SQLDriverManager.getConnection(SQLDriverManager.java:90)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.actions.LoginProgress$Login.run(LoginProgress.java:43)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

#240441 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Michael,
    Are you sure the DB server doesn’t have a firewall setup to block incomming connections on that port? If it’s running Windows XP, make sure the default firewall is either turned off or the exception for that port is entered.

#240527 Reply

I went and looked at the Internet Connection Firewall settings, which is all that is present on Service Pack 1, and it is disabled, so all ports should be open. When I try and connect after setting the JDBC configuration, the “Progress Information” box that pops up when I try to open the connection only goes about 1/4th of the way through before the null message pops up. I don’t know if that is important or not, but the progress bar is not getting all the way to the end before the error message appears.

#240596 Reply

I’ve solved the problem by adding the Daffodil DB driver through the MyEclipse Database Explorer properties (Window > Preferences > MyEclipse > Database Explorer > Drivers) instead of creating a new connection in the DB Explorer. It connects fine now.

#242614 Reply

ngocdaothanh

Thank you. I had the same problem.

#243007 Reply

thank you i had the same problem, now solved !!!

i think, this should be a BUG in myeclipse.

#243011 Reply

Riyad Kalla

imran,
    We did consider this to be a bug because it is so confusing for first time users. This should all be fixed in 4.1 and much more fluid, sorry about the confusion.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: [Closed] Cannot Connect to Daffodil One$DB with DB Ex

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in