facebook

[Closed] DB Explorer editing data

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

audix

Tried DB Explorer for the first time. Set up a very simple database with one simple table and then tried to enter and edit the data. There was no grid (table) view to enter rows in quickly so I just repeated a bunch of Insert statements. Then I tried to edit it… and in the SQL results tab it looks like you can edit it (you can select individual columns and change the text but it replaces the text with only one letter at a time and then it will not save it (so why does it even let you try and edit it???). So I went to another view? where again it looks like you should be able to edit data (the command is Edit Data) but no data shows up in the grid (table) control… it doesn’t take commands and all it says is “Cannot Edit… the result set is not update-able” at the bottom of the screen. In so many other tools you just look at the data in a grid view and then, in that same view, you can just add and delete rows and the specific information in rows and columns. Because of the interface and functionality I am not sure what DB Explorer does or how it does it.

#263264 Reply

Riyad Kalla

There was no grid (table) view to enter rows in quickly so I just repeated a bunch of Insert statements.

If you right click on the table and go to “Edit table data” that should open a table view for you.

Then I tried to edit it… and in the SQL results tab it looks like you can edit it (you can select individual columns and change the text but it replaces the text with only one letter at a time and then it will not save it (so why does it even let you try and edit it???).

Sorry about that, it’s a bit misleading. You using the “Edit” mode mentioned above to pop open a very similar view that *does* allow editing.

it doesn’t take commands and all it says is “Cannot Edit… the result set is not update-able” at the bottom of the screen.

Ahh ok you found it, the reason this can happen is that the DB does not allow edits or the JDBC driver that you are using to connect to the DB does not correctly implement the JDBC commands used to implement the editing controls. What driver, driver version, DB and DB version were you using?

#263306 Reply

audix

I am using the latest version of HSQLDB (1.8.7). hsqldb.jar (9/27/2006). Should I be using an older version? Are there other reasons the DB would not be editable? (I used DB Explorer to create the one table with 3 columns) and I could insert rows into it using SQL. Thanks for any input

#263315 Reply

Haris Peco

audix,

MyEclipse support edit data only for updatable result set. Latest HSQLDB support udatable ResultSet, but this support is not complete. You can’t solve this with older driver.

Regards

#263973 Reply

audix

Yes it looks like you are correct so I installed DBEdit with the same HSQL database and it worked perfectly. It allowed me to add and edit rows and columns so my problems are now solved

Regards

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: [Closed] DB Explorer editing data

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in