facebook

[Closed] Just a Plug In

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Cal Holman
    Participant

Is there a version of MyEclipse 6 that is simply a plug in? The current plug in version comes with several of the Eclipse 3.3 files and makes upgrading very difficult as the online updater for Eclipse sees the files in both the Eclipse 3.3 and MyEclipse 6 directories and cautions that bad things might happen.

Because MyEclipse uses a specific version of these files do you only recommend updates through MyEclipse 6?

#273821 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

holmanc,

We package MyEclipse as a “plugin” download in our Manual installer. It is intended to be installed on a fresh Eclipse 3.3 SDK installation and comes with all other required plugins / features / files it needs to operate when installed that way. From your mention of “duplication” it appears that you’re installing MyEclipse on a larger install base that perhaps includes GEF, WTP or other projects from Eclipse. We don’t recommend this configuration due to this duplication issue and because we constantly make bug fixes in some of the project code when we can’t wait for the Eclipse release cycles to include them.

So, what we recommend to make sure you have the easiest install and update experience, in order of prefernece is:
    1) Use the “All-in-one” installer for you platform if available
    2) If the “All-in-one” is not available, use the platform-specific installer and associate it with only an Eclipse SDK installation to ensure you get the correct version of all prerequisites as well as fixes.

Because MyEclipse uses a specific version of these files do you only recommend updates through MyEclipse 6?

Basically yes, as we handle the versioning issues and testing to ensure what we ship works. 🙂
    Hope that helps.

#273826 Reply

Cal Holman
    Participant

Scott>> Thanks. I used the all in one and all is ok. I had to add links to other plugin apps outside of the MyEclipse – but that is not an issue. However, there is one item I wish you could allow some configuration when installing and that is the JDK. I had to go in and remove the -vm instruction on the shortcuts as I use 1.6. I know – use the all in one as that is what we test – but I like developing in 1.6.

Again thanks for the great product.

Cal

#273828 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Cal,

We ship the latest version of 1.5 to run the environment because that is what we validate MyEclipse on. However, this has no bearing on the JDK you use for development. If you want to use JDK 1.6 we still suggest you leave the config as we ship it so the environment runs using JDK 1.5. To make JDK 1.6 you default for development you simply need to add it at Window > Preferences > Java > Installed JREs and set it as the default once it’s added. That way all your development will be against 1.6 but MyEclipse will continue to run on 1.5.

Oh, and be sure to check out MyEclipse 6.0GA once it ships. Lots of great enhancements coming very soon… 🙂

#273834 Reply

Cal Holman
    Participant

Scott>> Got it – thanks for the quick response

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: [Closed] Just a Plug In

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in