facebook

Closing Derby Connection doesn’t

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gwaptiva

Apologies if this was discussed before, but couldn’t find it in my searches.

Using Eclipse 3.1.0 (build I20050617-1618) with MyEclipse 4.0M2 (build 20050627-4.0-Milestone-2) and I added the driver for Derby 10.0 (embedded) on Windows XP.

Using the Database Explorer to connect to an embedded Derby database goes fine, but when I close the connection in Database Explorer and go to a command prompt to delete the database, the files are all locked. I actually have to exit Eclipse before I can delete the database files.

Even deleting the Database’s profile from the Database Explorer doesn’t resolve the issue. And obviously, my application that uses this database cannot connect to the database again until I restart Eclipse.

Is this a bug?

#233503 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Using Eclipse 3.1.0 (build I20050617-1618)

This is not the final release build of Eclispe, please upgrade to it when you get a chance.

Is this a bug?

It’s hard to say, it could also be a DB Driver issue maintaining a connection erroneously after it is closed. You might try and wait 5mins or so for a “timeout” to occur and then see if you can erase the resources.

#254381 Reply

yuri.ushakov

I have the same problem. When I close connection to an embedded Derby database, the connection actually stays open. Have to shutdown and start MyEclipse over again. It could be a problem within Derby’s driver itself, and if so, could you check it with guys at Apache?
    Thanks.

#254383 Reply

Haris Peco

Gwaptiva,Yuri

This is intented behavior for embeded derby.This is from description embeded derby :

An embedded framework is the most basic framework. Derby runs embedded in a Java application. When the application loads the local JDBC driver, it starts up the Derby engine. When the application shuts down, it shuts down the Derby engine. Only a single application can access a database at one time.

It mean that loading JDBC driver start derby and it’s open until shutdown application (MyEclipse)
    In Windows it mean that all database files are locked and you can’t delete files

Solution is simple – use network Derby

Best regards

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Closing Derby Connection doesn’t

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in