facebook

Console Contents Empty When Starting Tomcat [Closed]

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Terry Roe

Support,

Here’s another issue I was hoping would be cleared up when I did a recent clean install of Eclipse and MyEclipse 3.8.1…

I have “Windows->Preference->Run/Debug->Console->Show when program writes to standar out/error” disabled. (I do this because I don’t like the console popping up in all my open Eclipse windows.)

When I first start up Eclipse and then start Tomcat 5 within Eclipse, nothing happens in the Console view. (The background of the Consolve view is gray, and not white, because nothing is being written to it.) The Tomcat 5 server is actually running even though there is no output showing up in the Console.

Sometimes when I stop Tomcat, the Console will “wake up” and start displaying information. Other times I can stop and start Tomcat numerous times and the Console doesn’t show any activity. I have yet to find a way to consistently reproduce getting the Console to work after it has not been working. However, once the Console wakes up during an Eclipse session, it seems to remain awake (active, live, whatever you want to call it) during that session.

I couldn’t find this issue in the forums. Is there any other information I can provide that might help track this down? BTW, nothing shows up in the Error Log during all this, either.

Thanks,

TR

#214017 Reply

Riyad Kalla

TR,
    If you enable the “Console” setting you have disabled, does it work ever time? I’ve never disabled that setting and never had a “asleep” console before between 100s of start/stops…

#214022 Reply

Monica Isaac

My case is somehow related. My console just stopped showing contents every time I started Tomcat using the run/stop servers dropdown. I’m not sure if I have corrupted myEclipse because this only happened when I accidentally closed myEclipse while my Tomcat 5.0 is still running.

Your insights please.

Thanks,
    monicai

#214024 Reply

Monica Isaac

I looked at the previous posts regarding this issue, I just placed the path of my java/bin in my system variables and it’s working fine now.

Sorry for the trouble. 😮

@monicai wrote:

My case is somehow related. My console just stopped showing contents every time I started Tomcat using the run/stop servers dropdown. I’m not sure if I have corrupted myEclipse because this only happened when I accidentally closed myEclipse while my Tomcat 5.0 is still running.

Your insights please.

Thanks,
    monicai

#214035 Reply

Terry Roe

Riyad,

I think it always works if I have the “Show when program writes to standar out” option enabled. At least, I don’t ever remember it not working when that option is enabeld. In fact, a workaround I sometimes use is to briefly enable this option just to “wake up” the Console. But this is a hassle to do all the time.

I tried putting <j2sdk>\bin in my path, as moiciai mentioned above, and that doesn’t seem to help in my case.

Remember, I just did a clean install of Eclipse and MyEclipse. So I don’t think I have a “corrupted” installation…yet.

Let me know if there is any other information I can provide that would help track this down.

TR

#214052 Reply

Riyad Kalla

TR,
    I’m checking with the devs if we honor the disabled setting in which case we should probably never show any output.

#214057 Reply

Terry Roe

Riyad,

The way this works without MyEclipse is that standard output is still written to the Console. However, when new output is written, the Console is not made active if it is inactive, nor does it get opened if it is not opened. If you want to switch to, or open, the Console, all standard output that has been written will still be there. (I believe this last is the case, but am not absolutely sure.)

I think it is inappropriate to not show any output just because this option is disabled. The option is only for showing and/or opening the Console when new output is written. Disabling it should still have standard output in the Console, just don’t make the Console active if inactive or show it if not open.

TR

#214079 Reply

Riyad Kalla

TR, sorry for the misunderstanding I wasn’t interpreting the setting correctly. I’ll send a correction to the team.

#214080 Reply

Riyad Kalla

TR,
    Turns out this is all handled by Eclipse and is likely a bug with the platform. Might be related to this: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=52926

#214083 Reply

Terry Roe

Riyad,

OK, thanks for looking into this for me.

TR

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Console Contents Empty When Starting Tomcat [Closed]

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in