facebook

copy-paste often causes pauses (10s to 30s or even longer)

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Bugs
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

mxnmatch

I have long had problems with jsp editing being slow in ME. After I turned off jsp validation this became less of an issue, but it’s still far slower than java editing.

However, I do not understand why copying would cause a huge pause (sometimes there is no pause, sometimes the pause is 10s, sometimes it’s even longer). This has actually caused me to modify my behavior so that for short things I just retype them instead of copying and pasting.

I was actually thinking about renaming all my jsps to have a different suffix so that ME will not attempt to mess with them. Of course that means I wouldn’t have syntax coloring.

The thing that I don’t understand is why the pause occurs when copying. I can understand if it happens when pasting. That would just mean it was recompiling or doing syntax checking or something. But, there is absolutely nothing that should be going on when I press ctrl-c to copy highlighted text except copying that text into the clipboard.

Incidentally, ME is very good at everything else. In all other respects I’m very happy with it.

Has anyone tried an alternative JSP eclipse plugin with ME? I’d love to just install a different plugin and avoid the use of the current JSP editor/compiler altogether.

#227739 Reply

Riyad Kalla

What Eclipse version are you using? And what MyEclipse version are you using? What JDK are you using? Are you using CTRL-C/V for copy paste, or using the ALT-CTRL-UP and down keystrokes to duplicate lines?

There was this bug when executing keyboard bindings that the editor window wouldn’t repain for a few seconds and it looked like lag, but it actually wasn’t, it was just sitting there doing nothing.

Also there should be absolutely no pause and the fact that there is one makes me think there is a bug… if you are using our stable release (Eclipse 3.0.2 + MyEclipse 3.8.4 QF2) then you shouldn’t be experiencing this and I will file it. But if you are using our beta release, it could be an issue with base Eclipse Milestone build. We will be rolling out a M6 compatible build in a few days.

#227757 Reply

mxnmatch

You should have a user page for each account on this board so that I can register that info in one spot so that it’s not necessary to repeat it for every question. 🙂

Anyway, I’m using jdk 1.5 with Eclipse 3.1M4 and ME 3.8.4 (the version for 3.1). So yes, it’s the beta version. I can’t remember if I had this problem back when I was using Eclipse 3.0 with the non-beta version of ME.

In the past when I’ve disabled certain plugins (because I don’t know how to completely uninstall plugins) I’ve gotten the warning message that there are errors in my Eclipse configuration. However, it never specifies what those errors are.

In the “Error Log” view, it shows some occasional errors. Most are unhelpful “An exception stack trace could not be found.” errors.

The following exception is the only one that appears to happen regularly. I’ll have to watch to see when exactly these are added.

org.eclipse.jface.text.BadLocationException
    at org.eclipse.jface.text.DocumentCommand.addCommand(DocumentCommand.java:330)
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.xml.internal.autoedit.StructuredAutoEditStrategyXML.smartInsertForComment(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.xml.internal.autoedit.StructuredAutoEditStrategyXML.customizeDocumentCommand(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.StructuredTextViewer.customizeDocumentCommand(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.StructuredTextEditor$StatusLineSourceViewer.customizeDocumentCommand(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.sse.editor.StructuredTextViewer.handleVerifyEvent(Unknown Source)
    at org.eclipse.jface.text.TextViewer$TextVerifyListener.verifyText(TextViewer.java:351)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:193)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:833)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:857)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:842)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.notifyListeners(Widget.java:650)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.modifyContent(StyledText.java:5596)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.sendKeyEvent(StyledText.java:6465)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.doContent(StyledText.java:2536)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.handleKey(StyledText.java:4983)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText.handleKeyDown(StyledText.java:5006)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.StyledText$7.handleEvent(StyledText.java:4751)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:82)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:833)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:857)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:842)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendKeyEvent(Widget.java:870)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendKeyEvent(Widget.java:866)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.wmChar(Widget.java:1171)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.WM_CHAR(Control.java:3109)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Control.windowProc(Control.java:3012)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.windowProc(Display.java:3370)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessageW(Native Method)
    at org.eclipse.swt.internal.win32.OS.DispatchMessage(OS.java:1570)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2446)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1569)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1540)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:285)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:144)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:102)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:220)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:273)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:129)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:185)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:710)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:694)

#227760 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I would suggest you roll back to stable releases instead of using a beta platform for production use, BUT I’m guessing you will reply with “I need JDK 5 features!” then I will follow up with “We will be making an Eclipse 3.1M6 compatible release in the next few days, so hang in there and see if that fixes it up!” then I hope you will reply with “Ok sounds good, I’ll let you know.”

Does that sound agreeable?

#227765 Reply

mxnmatch

Ok sounds good, I’ll let you know. 🙂

Oh, and I’m using ctrl-C/V. I didn’t even know about alt-ctrl-up/down.

But just to be clear, the pause only occurs at the point I hit “ctrl-c”. It never occurs when I hit ctrl-v. That’s what’s so strange about this.

#227770 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Are you sure there is a pause? Have you every tried going CTRL-C and IMMEDiATELY doing CTRL-V like 3 times, and then make the window repaint and see if your paste changes are visible?

#227780 Reply

mxnmatch

How do I force it to repaint the window?

During the apparent pause I tried pasting 3 times and then hit F5. Nothing happened at all the first time. Nothing changed at all in the window.

I tried it again and this time it appeared to pause and then it did a bunch of pastes. They didn’t just appear though. The happened in sequence which implies to me that they aren’t being executed during the apparent pause.

Also, I found that I wasn’t able to make the pause occur in one of my smaller jsps. It happens all the time in a large jsp that I have which has a lot of scriptlets in it. Most of my smaller jsps have few/new scriptlets in them.

So, it’s possible that this happens only in jsps that have scriptlets in them. It’s possible that it only happens in large jsps. Or, it might only happen in large jsps that have scriptlets. I guess I’ll have to experiment to see where it happens.

#227789 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Also, I found that I wasn’t able to make the pause occur in one of my smaller jsps. It happens all the time in a large jsp that I have which has a lot of scriptlets in it. Most of my smaller jsps have few/new scriptlets in them.

How big is this page? Would you be able to create a sample file for us to try and email it to support@genuitec.com ATTN Riyad? Also keep in mind that the page will need to be valid, because if it has errors in it, on my end the entire thing will get marked red as the reconciler goes crazy and then I won’t be testing the same thing as you are experiencing. So most likely you will need to create a small subset project and the page and use File > Export > ZIP and email me that file.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: copy-paste often causes pauses (10s to 30s or even longer)

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in