facebook

create ER Diagram fails

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

When try to create the ER-Diagram I get an error.
    I’m using a psql (PostgreSQL) 7.4.7 database.
    I had to specify my own driver, because the one in MyEclipse does not work. I used: pg74.215.jdbc3.jar

It stopped to work after adding some tables (there are now 59)

I’m using the latest MyEclipse 4.0 with eclipse 3.1, tried it wiht MyE 3.8… and it didn’t work too.

thanks.

PS: the Errormessage (comes after fetching all metadata, when teh ER window is opened, there is no ER-file written):
    java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
    at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1444)
    at java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1411)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.erdesigner.model.ERRelationship.getLabel(ERRelationship.java:170)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.erdesigner.part.ERRelationshipEditPart.createFigure(ERRelationshipEditPart.java:182)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.getFigure(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:435)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.activateFigure(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:95)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.addNotify(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:102)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.setParent(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:261)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractConnectionEditPart.setTarget(AbstractConnectionEditPart.java:291)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addTargetConnection(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:261)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.refreshTargetConnections(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:657)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.refresh(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:556)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addNotify(AbstractEditPart.java:232)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addNotify(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:212)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addChild(AbstractEditPart.java:195)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.refreshChildren(AbstractEditPart.java:734)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.refresh(AbstractEditPart.java:684)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.refresh(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:554)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addNotify(AbstractEditPart.java:232)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractGraphicalEditPart.addNotify(AbstractGraphicalEditPart.java:212)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.AbstractEditPart.addChild(AbstractEditPart.java:195)
    at org.eclipse.gef.editparts.FreeformGraphicalRootEditPart.setContents(FreeformGraphicalRootEditPart.java:303)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.AbstractEditPartViewer.setContents(AbstractEditPartViewer.java:583)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.AbstractEditPartViewer.setContents(AbstractEditPartViewer.java:592)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.erdesigner.ERDesignerEditor.initializeGraphicalViewer(ERDesignerEditor.java:299)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.erdesigner.ERDesignerEditor.createGraphicalViewer(ERDesignerEditor.java:151)
    at org.eclipse.gef.ui.parts.GraphicalEditor.createPartControl(GraphicalEditor.java:148)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPartHelper(EditorReference.java:585)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.createPart(EditorReference.java:365)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPartReference.getPart(WorkbenchPartReference.java:552)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.EditorReference.getEditor(EditorReference.java:214)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditorBatched(WorkbenchPage.java:2325)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.busyOpenEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2258)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.access$9(WorkbenchPage.java:2250)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage$9.run(WorkbenchPage.java:2236)
    at org.eclipse.swt.custom.BusyIndicator.showWhile(BusyIndicator.java:69)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2231)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WorkbenchPage.openEditor(WorkbenchPage.java:2204)
    at com.genuitec.eclipse.sqlexplorer.actions.CreateERD$1.run(CreateERD.java:155)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.RunnableLock.run(RunnableLock.java:35)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Synchronizer.runAsyncMessages(Synchronizer.java:123)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runAsyncMessages(Display.java:3057)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2716)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1699)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1663)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:367)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:143)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:103)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:226)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:376)
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:163)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:324)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:334)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:278)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:973)
    at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:948)

#232570 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Check all your FK’s, do they all have names? Do any of your tables have fields or keys without names?

#232767 Reply

Thank you, after your hint I dumped the Schema and tried it on anoter database, the problem is gone, I think the Problem were the Functions, I didn’d replicate them to the new database.

#239053 Reply

So,
    Months afer it worked, I wanted to create an ER-Diagram again, same Error, also with the latest MyEclipse.

Is there any log File where I can locate the Table/FK/Function which causes this Error, (only as a workaround)

My Data Record:

*** Date: Mon Oct 10 09:03:14 CEST 2005

*** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.4.2_08

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 4.0.2 GA
    Build id: 20051010-4.0.2-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.1.0
    Build id: I20050627-1435

Eclipse Platform

Eclipse RCP

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Eclipse Project SDK

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    C:\Programme\eclipse3.1\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    d68_38
    -vm
    C:\j2sdk1.4.2_08\jre\bin\javaw.exe

#239062 Reply

Brian Fernandes

ollih,

Sorry you had to run into this again. We already have an issue filed against this but I incorrectly assumed this was far from the norm.

Nothing but your Tables should matter (Functions are irrelevant), so open up a connection to your DB and select each table, keep the Table Info view open with the Foreign Key tab selected.
    If you notice a Row without an entry (or a blank) in the Foreign Key column, that would likely be the relationship causing all the trouble. I’m afraid there isnt’ a log with this particular information.

If you give that relationship a name, the diagram will be created just fine. I’m unaware of how this condition would occur since I know that PostgreSQL would name your relationships for you – how was the schema created?

Please let us know if you find anything, that’ll help us fix this issue asap.

Best,
    Brian.

#239161 Reply

So,
    I checked.
    All of our Primary / Foreign Keys have names.
    At least $1 or similar, like PostgreSQL names them by default.

best,
    Oliver

#239309 Reply

Forgot to mention…
    All have names and it does not work.

#239311 Reply

Brian Fernandes

ollith,

That is strange. Would it be possible for you to recreate the problematic schema in another temp schema adding a few tables at a time to see what causes it to break down?
    Another idea is to explicitly name all the relationships which have default names.

I understand if this is not possible, since it can be a time sink, we’ll take care of this issue in our next release. Any further information you can provide would be appreciated.

Best,
    Brian.

#239393 Reply

I already tried it,
    But as you say, its Time-Consuming, we habe 81 Tables and I don’t know how many Foreign keys,
    so I gave up, I’ll try once more, when I have some time.
    Only the tables, without PK/FK it worked, also some of the $ named ones worked, but I don’t know when the Problem occurs.

#239471 Reply

I found the problem,
    After 2 hours of testing.
    I have a foreign key that references a the oid-column of a table, this isn’t supported by your ER-Designer :-).
    …but i think it should be, because Postgresql supports it.
    best,
    Oliver

#239503 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Oliver,

Great! Thank you for taking the time to nail that for us, highly appreciated.

I can see why OID references would cause this error and I’ve revised our internal report on this issue.
    Yes, we should / will be taking care of OIDs; in any case, they shouldn’t cause the diagram creation to fail.

Thanks for the support,
    Brian.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: create ER Diagram fails

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in