facebook

Database Browser on named pipes

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

rmerc

Hello

I am using database browser on MyEclipse new M2 release. If I use TCP/IP for MySql server connection I can connect to the DB. If I switch to Named Pipes Database browser doesn’t connect to MySql and I get java.net.unknownHostException ! Seems like MyEclipse is still trying to connect through TCP/IP. Coonection url I am using is jdbc:mysql://./mydbname. Does DB Browser only use TCP/IP ? If named pipes are supported how should I force DB Browser to use named pipes ?

Thanks.

p.s. If I run a simple test program using datasource, it connects fine with the DB. In other words my datasource and MySQL setup over named pipes are working fine.

#232375 Reply

Riyad Kalla

What does your connection string look like when you are connecting over TCP? I ask because I’ve only ever used the connections tring “jdbc:mysql:etc/etc/” and it has worked fine.

#232382 Reply

rmerc

TCP/IP connection string I use is jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/mydbname and it works fine

I want to run the database over named pipes and completely bypass the TCP/IP. Just wondering what connection string should I use. I am trying jdbc:mysql://./mydbname DB Browser doesn’t like it.

#232389 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Sorry I don’t think we support named pipes, I can double check this for you, but all testing as been done with the standard TCP connection strings.

#232392 Reply

rmerc

Riyad

That’s ok. I don’t think named pipes are really big issue on the developer’s machine. When I deploy the app in production however, I use named pipes for greater security and speed.

Thanks

Rick

#232411 Reply

I think that if eclipse/MyEclipse/dbBrowser is able to connect to MySql over TCP/IP or Named-Pipes is Out-Of-Scope.

That is because TCP/IP or Named-Pipes is the Transport-Protocol. when We use a driver; the driver uses a Transport-Protocol to reach the Database. The Driver exposes a interfase; in this case is JDBC.

An Application have to “know” JDBC to interact with a DB via a (jdbc) driver. And when I say Application, it may be a custom Application, eclipse, MyEclipse or a Database Viewer.

The Job of the driver is to get us there. then is a driver issue the number of Transport-Protocols it supports to connect to the Database.

Maybe the diff. between your working app and MyEclipse-Db-Features is the driver. Are you using the same driver ?, exactly the same connection string?.

My two Cents.
    Saludos

#232418 Reply

rmerc

I am using the same driver. DBProfile in the DBbrowser, allows you to specify a driver and a url. I specified the same driver that worked with the TCP/IP connection. What you said makes sense though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Database Browser on named pipes

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in