facebook

Db explorer sybase problems

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Johan Kenens

Hello,

I’m currently evaluating MyEclipse (trial version). I’ve set up a connection to a Sybase Adaptive Server Enterprise database. Most of the basic things are working fine. Editing stored procedures is not working although all capabilities are enabled. Generate ddl is not working. I get error Incorrect syntax near ‘[‘. If I generate a select statement I get some kind of MS SQL server syntax, ie the database name is added using square brackets, probably causing previous error.

Thank you

#260794 Reply

Johan Kenens

And, by the way, I can’t find the ERD designer (not present in context menu). Is it available in this trial version?
    Thanks again.

#260795 Reply

Haris Peco

jkenens,

And, by the way, I can’t find the ERD designer (not present in context menu). Is it available in this trial version?

You can call ‘New ER Diagram’ in context menu of you username (for example dbo)

Generate ddl is not working. I get error Incorrect syntax near ‘[‘. If I generate a select statement I get some kind of MS SQL server syntax, ie the database name is added using square brackets, probably causing previous error.

I suppose that you use sybase version less than 12.This syntax have introduced in newer version on sybase and enable special character in database name (for example space).We are working on fix this problem.

Editing stored procedures is not working although all capabilities are enabled.

I’m not sure what you think with ‘edit stored procedure’, but you can open (or generate ddl) stored procedure and edit in sql editor

Regards,

#260796 Reply

Johan Kenens

Thank you Peco,

I could generate the ERD now (perfect).

The other problems remain allthough I’m using ASE 12.5 and tried with jconn2.jar and jconn3.jar.

If I generate a select statement for a database table I get:

select
    adr_id,
    con_id,
    gem_id,
    txt_id_adressoort,
    adr_lijn_1,
    aangemaakt_door,
    aangemaakt_op,
    gewijzigd_door,
    gewijzigd_op
    from
    [pasport_test].”dbo”.”adressen”

Executing this select statement results in the “Incorrect syntax near ‘[‘” error.

I think the square brackets around “pasport_test” are not accepted by ASE12.5. This is a general problem. If I click on a table and go to “Table/Object Info” I can see the column names, indexes, foreign keys etc…but if I select the “Preview tab” to have a look at the data in the table I get the “Incorrect syntax near ‘[‘”. Generating DDL for a table…same error.

I would expect that the stored procedure source would show up in the “Table/Object Info” if I open a stored procedure. But it is empty (the parameter definitions are there). Generating DDL for a stored procedure or “Open” the stored procedure shows an empty editor.

Thank you

#260798 Reply

Haris Peco

jkenens ,

We have tested ASE 12.5.2 with sybase JConnect 6.0 (jconn3.jar) and jtds driver.However, jdbc driver is not related with catalog(database)
    syntax problems.
    You are correct.This syntax have used in preview, open procedure, triggers, generate ddl, create table/index/foreign key wizards.
    Please, can you send your log (Windows>Show View>Other>PDE Runtime>Error Log View).If it is too big send on support@genuitec.com with subject ATTN: snpe.

Regards,

#260800 Reply

Johan Kenens

Peco,

I’ve sent the log in a separate mail to support@genuitec.com. Some more hints, I’m using Sybase ASE 12.5.0.3. Should I upgrade to 12.5.2 first? Could this be one of the Sybase ASE configuration parameters?

By the way, congratulations, this is by far the best suite of eclipse plugins I’ve seen sofar!!!!!!!

Regards[/img]

#260802 Reply

Haris Peco

jkenens,

if you can upgrade to 12.5.2, it will help.Our database (12.5.2) works fine with this.
    We introduce [] syntax for database names with special chars (for example , ‘db-syb’, ‘db test’ etc).
    I think that you can’t change this behavior with configuration parameter, because syntax [] is used when you have parameter quoted identfier ‘off’.
    I don’t know when sybase introduce this syntax, but it works in ASE 12.5.2.

Thank you for your compliments

Regards,

#260962 Reply

frantuma

I have the same problem with sybase (using jtds), myeclipse generates sql with [] and related problems (ddl, etc).
    I don’ hava access to the database; Is there any way to configure myeclipse to use a different sql syntax or is there any other workaround?

thanks

Francesco

#260977 Reply

Haris Peco

Francesko,

We have fix this and it will be released in MyEclipse 5.0.3 (5.0.3 will be released shortly)

Regards,

#260981 Reply

frantuma

excellent, thanks

Francesco

#262490 Reply

musica

Incorrect syntax near ‘[‘. issue is still present in version 5.1.0 (ASE 12.5.0.3)
    According to support-snpe this should have been fixed in 5.0.3 !?

#262491 Reply

Haris Peco

musica,

It is correct syntax for Sybase 12.5.2 or higher and necessary if user have special character (space,- etc) in database/catalog name.
    You can change this with uncheck preference :

Windows>Preference>MyEclipse>Database explorer>Microsft SQL Server/Sybase>Use catalog quote [] for Sybase

Regards,

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Db explorer sybase problems

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in