facebook

Deploy to Tomcat, blank error message popup

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Application Servers and Deployment
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

jieryn

I’m having extreme problems with Eclipse + MyEclipse + Tomcat. I’ve completely reinstalled Eclipse 3.2.1, MyEclipse latest, Tomcat 5.5.20.. when I try to deploy my webapp to tomcat I see a blank error message window and no deployment occurs.

There is a serious serious problem here that I need resolved before I can do my job. Please help! Here is the skinny:

MyEclipse Configuration Details

*** Date: Wed Nov 08 18:38:01 EST 2006

*** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1
    Java version=1.5.0_09

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 5.0 GA
    Build id: 20060805-5.0-GA

*** Eclipse details:
    Eclipse SDK

Version: 3.2.1
    Build id: M20060921-0945

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework

Version: 3.2.0.v20060626
    Build id: 20060627-0816

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060921-b_XVA-INSQSyMtx

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060801-2ekW2BxmcpPUOoq

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060905-R4CM1Znkvre9wC-

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060823-6vYLLdQ3Nk8DrFG

Eclipse Project SDK

Version: 3.2.1.r321_v20060801-tQ1w49KnTArT0FZ

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\eclipse\eclipse.exe
    -name
    Eclipse
    -showsplash
    -exitdata
    b88_54
    -vm C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_09\bin\javaw.exe
    -clean
    -vm
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\javaw.exe

Final Stack Trace from Error Log

!ENTRY org.eclipse.ui 4 0 2006-11-08 18:33:19.577
    !MESSAGE java.lang.NullPointerException
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.NullPointerException
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentUtil.isSourceFolder(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentUtil.copyContainer(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.DeploymentUtil.copyContainer(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.Deployment.resyncAll(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ModuleDeployment.deployAsExplodedArchive(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.Deployment.deploy(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.Deployment.redeploy(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ui.dialog.DeploymentManagerDialog.redeployProject(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ui.dialog.DeploymentManagerDialog.Ä‚(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ui.dialog.DeploymentManagerDialog.access$3(Unknown Source)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ui.dialog.DeploymentManagerDialog$6.handleEvent(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:820)
        at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:796)
        at com.genuitec.eclipse.ast.deploy.core.ui.action.DeploymentMgmtActionDelegate.runWithEvent(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.PluginAction.runWithEvent(PluginAction.java:244)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.WWinPluginAction.runWithEvent(WWinPluginAction.java:229)
        at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:539)
        at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:488)
        at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$6.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:441)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:66)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:928)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:3348)
        at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:2968)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:1914)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:1878)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:419)
        at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
        at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.IDEApplication.run(IDEApplication.java:95)
        at org.eclipse.core.internal.runtime.PlatformActivator$1.run(PlatformActivator.java:78)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:92)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:68)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:400)
        at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:177)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
        at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:336)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:280)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:977)
        at org.eclipse.core.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:952)

#261527 Reply

jieryn

I solved this. *sheepish smile* My apologies. I had renamed the default ‘WebRoot’ directory to follow a Spring oriented convention of being named ‘war’. Unfortnatley, I did not update the .mymetadata file to reference the new webrootdir. :-/ Once this was done, a redeployment was possible and Tomcat seems to be working well.

Still though, a blank error message is kind of lame. I definitely shot myself in the foot, but MyEclipse perhaps should have reported a real error message instead of the blank window. To recreate the problem just create a Web Project and rename the generated WebRoot directory to something else, then redeploy.

Thx. MyEclipse forever!

#263284 Reply

I second that. Just getting a dialog “Error” with nothing else doesn’t really help to find out what’s wrong. Also, I only saw that dialog once. After that, each click on “Redeploy” just logs an NPE. So if you don’t have the error log open, clicking on redeploy will just don’t do anything.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Deploy to Tomcat, blank error message popup

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in