facebook

Deploy/Undeploy problem

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. UML Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nac

So I made a mistake. I told MyEclipse to deploy a packaged war file to a custom location: my desktop.

You might think that that would mean: “Put the war file on my Desktop”, but you would be wrong.

It proceeded to wipe out everything on my windows Desktop (completely unrecoverable – very nice), and now I can’t remove the custom target because when I click on the “remove” button, it once again wipes out the desktop files (you’d think it would just remove the target, since “add” means “add a new target”, but no) and then it complains that it can’t delete the Desktop directory.

Any thoughts on how I can remove this target?

#232206 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Nac,

First, let me apologize about the deletion you experienced. We had a bug in the initial release of 3.8.4 that would do exactly what you describe. We turned a quickfix for it and updated all the installers within a couple of days, as announced here: (http://www.myeclipseide.com/PNphpBB2+file-viewtopic-t-5881.html), but we realize that doesn’t make the deletion easier to tolerate.

Since you posted this to the 4.0 forum, are you reporting that you experienced this with version 4.0 as well? I tried to replicate with both a packaged and exploded web project into a temp folder that already contained other files and could not reproduce the deletion behavior from 3.8.4. Can you provide exactly what version you’re running and if it is 4.0, *precisely* the steps to reproduce so we can address it?

Any thoughts on how I can remove this target?

I believe if you delete it from the Windows Explorer and restart the workbench it will be removed. If you are running 3.8.4, I’d highly recommend either installing the quickfix as described in the link above or creating a new installation of both Eclipse 3.1 / MyEclipse 4.0M2.

#232218 Reply

Nac

Hey Scott,

I’m running 4.0M2 on Eclipse 3.1 Final with JDK1.5.0_03, Windows XP Professional, SP2. Here’s a fulll account:

I had a directory (let’s call it “temp”) sitting on my Windows Desktop. I had an eclipse project (also called “temp” – yes, the same name as the directory on my desktop, and I think this was part of the problem now that I’ve had time to mull it over). I told the deployer to create a packaged war file and put it in a custom location – that location being Desktop\temp\ – thinking that it would put “temp.war” inside that directory. Instead, it wiped out every file and directory on the desktop, complaining that it couldn’t remove the Desktop directory. When I went back to look at the deployer settings, the deployment directory (custom location) had changed to Desktop\.

Then I created a temporary file on Desktop\ (on a hunch) and tried to “Remove” the deployment target. My temporary file was wiped out and it complained that it couldn’t delete the directory “Desktop” – the deployment target remained.

After my post, I restarted Eclipse and the deployment target disappeared by itself.

That’s all I can remember. I spent the next hour trying to recover my files. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful, but fortunately I only lost one fairly important file – a couple hours to rebuild it. That’s what I get for having a messy Desktop I guess.

#232231 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Nac,

Well, we’re really sorry about the deletion. One thing I can see happening is that when you pick a custom location, sometimes the trailing backslash from the directory path isn’t picked up so the name of the file might be invalid. That problem, coupled with using the same name as the deployment location might be enough to trigger such an error. In any event, we’ll post a bug report and look into it for the next release.

#232236 Reply

Nac

Not really blaming you guys – as much my fault as the software’s, I figure – plus, it’s beta software! As a software developer, I understand what to expect of beta-quality releases (and the inherent risks in using them). Be happy to have the bug(?) logged though for future reference.

Thanks

#232253 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Be happy to have the bug(?) logged though for future reference

Oh, we certainly are! That makes it so much easier to fix, as you know. 🙂

We’re just sorry the problem caused you a bit of grief. We do our best never to do that, even with a beta.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Deploy/Undeploy problem

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in