facebook

Deploy Web app to Sun 8.1

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Web Development (HTML, CSS, etc.)
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

gdr2

– System Setup ——————————-
    Operating System and version: XP Home SP2
    Eclipse version: 3.1.1
    Eclipse build id: M20060118-1600
    Fresh Eclipse install (y/n): y
    If not, was it upgraded to its current version using the update manager?
    Other installed external plugins:
    Number of plugins in the <eclipse>/plugins directory that begin with org.eclipse.pde.*: 4
    MyEclipse version: 4.1.0
    Eclipse JDK version:
    Application Server JDK version: Sun 8.1 and Tomcat 5.5
    Are there any exceptions in the Eclipse log file? No (I assume that is the .log file in the workspace)

– Message Body ——————————-

I have recently started using MyEclipse and have had success deploying my simple practice application to Tomcat using the IDE. When I add it with the IDE, it shows up in the Tomcat list of applications. When I remove it, it is removed from the list of applications in Tomcat. The console in Eclipse shows that the application context was deleted and restored.

However, when I deploy the same application (with an updated web.xml file of course), the same deployment with the IDE to Sun 8.1 produces no results. The comsole in Eclipse shows no activity as a result of the deployment.

If I create a .war file using export and deploy that with Sun 8.1 it works. The application shows up in the application list and the application works the same as for Tomcat.

I assume that I am missing something but I don’t get an error message or anything like that to give me a clue as to where I went wrong.

#246091 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Eclipse version: 3.1.1
    Eclipse build id: M20060118-1600

These Build IDs and versions don’t match, can you double check what version you have in the Help > About menu?

If I create a .war file using export and deploy that with Sun 8.1 it works. The application shows up in the application list and the application works the same as for Tomcat.

I’m not that farmiliar with Sun App server, but some app servers won’t take an exploded deployment with their default settings, they expect the deployments in WAR format.

Are you running it in debug mode?

#246095 Reply

gdr2

Oops, should be Eclipse 3.1.2.

I am running in debug mode.

I checked out the Sun 8.1 server and found that it throws an error when trying to load from the same expanded folder structure that the .war file was created from so I suspect it may be a problem with the Sun server. The Sun server implies that it can take an exploded deployment.

Exporting to a .war fiel and then using the Sun server to deploy it isn’t a big deal, I just wanted to know if I was doing something wrong with the IDE.

#246098 Reply

Riyad Kalla

No, you seem to be following the deployment processes exactly as you should, maybe you can deploy a WAR file, once Sun App Server recognizes it and installs it, you can shut down the server, remove the WAR deployment and then create an exploded deployment and then start the app server back up, sort of “tricking” it by changing the deployments behind it’s back?

THis trick is necessary on some bigger app servers like WL and WS that don’t take exploded deployments.

#246099 Reply

gdr2

It takes so long to restart Sun App Server that creating a .war file and then going to Sun Admin and redeploying the .war file created by MyEclipse is faster. I have done some Googling and found that doing an exploded deploy with Sun App Server is problematic even within the standard Sun Admin (although some claim it works). I have found that MyEclipse does place the exploded deployment in the right place in the Sun App Server file structure but the server doesn’t react to the folder showing up, only the .war file.

#246100 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Thank you for the information you have found and followup, this will be valuable to other’s trying to use Sun App server and running into the same limitation.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Deploy Web app to Sun 8.1

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in