facebook

Disabling automatic updates.

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

we9603

Everytime I launch MyEclipse and get past the splash screen, MyEclipse does a check for plug-in updates. You can see this while inside MyEclipse at the bottom right corner. Is there a way of configuring the sw to disable all automatic updates? I would also like to disable the Check Updates from inside Help -> Software Updates -> Check for Updates. Is there a way to accomplish these 2 things?

If you do a search for “Automatic Updates” from inside the Help menu the Workbench Userguide > Reference > Preferences, it indicates that there preference called Installed/Update -> Automatic Updates where you can check a box or uncheck a box to automatically find new updates and notify me. I do not see this option in either 7.0 or 7.1.

I am using MyEclipse Workbench 7.0

Thanks

#296551 Reply

mongonv
    Participant

I also have the same problem and need to disable the automatic updates as it takes forever for the application to launch with that on.

#296597 Reply

support-joy

we9603 and mongonv,

Can you copy and paste your installation details? You need to go to MyEclipse > Installation Summary > Installation Detail.
    How did you install ME – meaning have you installed using the all-in-one installer or added MyEclipse to Eclipse, etc? And what is your ME version?
    In ME 7.1, to disable updates on startup, you have to disable the Dashboard from showing up on startup.
    Prior to 7.0, you could set it using Windows > Preferences > Install/Update > Automatic Updates. You had a checkbox – Automatically find new updates and notify me.
    Let me know if this helps.

#296612 Reply

we9603

I am using MyEclipse Workbench 7.0. The name of the installation file is myeclipse-7.0-win32.exe dated 1/8/09 which I downloaded
    from your website.

I do not have an Install/Update > Automatic Updates item under Preferences.

How can I disable the plugin updates and disable the Check Updates menu item
    as I indicated on my previous post?

Here are my installation details for MyEclipse 7.0.

Thanks.

*** Date:
    Tuesday, March 24, 2009 7:08:38 AM CDT

** System properties:
    OS=WindowsXP
    OS version=5.1.0
    Java version=1.5.0_11

*** MyEclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench
    Version: 7.0
    Build id: 7.0-20081201

*** Eclipse details:
    MyEclipse Enterprise Workbench

Version: 7.0
    Build id: 7.0-20081201

Eclipse Platform

Version: 3.4.1.r341_v20080731-9I96EiDElYevwz-p1bP5z-NlAaP7vtX6Utotqsu
    Build id: M20080911-1700

Eclipse Java Development Tools

Version: 3.4.1.r341_v20080709-0800-7o7tEAfEF_U5qyUgrb2HAp539P97
    Build id: M20080709-0800

Eclipse Graphical Editing Framework GEF

Version: 3.4.1.v20080806-67718083A56B4H2A3213573
    Build id: 200809101400

Eclipse RCP

Version: 3.4.100.r341_v20080814-989JESIEdAciFYfkZZsBfSwQ2341
    Build id: M20080703-0800

Eclipse Plug-in Development Environment

Version: 3.4.1.r341_v20080731-7T7U0E9mlRIuGUYviF_VP
    Build id: M20080703-0800

Eclipse startup command=-os
    win32
    -ws
    win32
    -arch
    x86
    -showsplash
    -launcher
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\myeclipse.exe
    -name
    Myeclipse
    –launcher.library
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\../Common\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.win32.win32.x86_1.0.101.R34x_v20080731\eclipse_1115.dll
    -startup
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\MyEclipse 7.0\../Common\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.0.101.R34x_v20080819.jar
    -clean
    -configuration
    configuration
    -vm
    C:\Program Files\Genuitec\Common\binary\com.sun.java.jre.win32.x86_1.5.0.011\bin\client\jvm.dl

#296676 Reply

support-joy

Thank you for the installation details. To disable updates on startup, you have to disable the Dashboard from showing up on startup.

#296692 Reply

we9603

Joy,

Thank you for answering the first question on disabling the dashboard.
    My second questions was how to disable the Check for Updates under Help -> Software Updates – Check for Updates. Is there a registry key or anything like that to disable (or grey out) that menu item? We are in a controlled environment and we discourage users from downloading updates on their own.

#296821 Reply

Loyal Water

we9603
    Im afraid there is no way of disabling this option. Sorry about that.

#297466 Reply

we9603

Nipun, on versions prior to 7.0 you could set it using Windows > Preferences > Install/Update > Automatic Updates. You had a checkbox – Automatically find new updates and notify me. Is this something that will brought back w/ version 7.5 due in May or June?

#297496 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

we9603,

Thank you for answering the first question on disabling the dashboard.
    My second questions was how to disable the Check for Updates under Help -> Software Updates – Check for Updates. Is there a registry key or anything like that to disable (or grey out) that menu item? We are in a controlled environment and we discourage users from downloading updates on their own.

on versions prior to 7.0 you could set it using Windows > Preferences > Install/Update > Automatic Updates. You had a checkbox – Automatically find new updates and notify me. Is this something that will brought back w/ version 7.5 due in May or June?

You’re correct that there used to be a preference item to enable MyEclipse to automatically check for updates. This was replaced with the automatic check that is done by the dashboard on startup, which Joy has previously explained how to disable. Historically, all versions of MyEclipse have always been able to automatically check for updates, and that automatic check can be disabled. In MyEclipse 7.x, the automatic check has simply “moved” to the dashboard. Additionally, in all versions of MyEclipse the end user has always been able to manually launch a “check for updates” and there has never been a way to keep the user from doing that if he chose to. That is also unchanged across all version of MyEclipse

Based on your combined comments it seems you’re trying to remove the ability for end users to search for updates themselves in an effort to “lock down” their configuration to one that is controlled and supported by your organization. We certainly understand why this would be desirable, but there is not a facility to do that within MyEclipse itself.

However, to support this type of control, configuration, and distribution for Eclipse-based technologies (like MyEclipse, RCP-based application suites, or whatever), Genuitec has another product called Pulse Private Label that offers this functionality and much more. If that’s something that might be of interest to your organization, you can find out more about it on the website or by sending an email to pulse at genuitec dot com with any questions you may have. The folks over there will be glad to help you in any way they can.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Disabling automatic updates.

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in