facebook

Does the plugin provide the “command window”?

1. Copilot4Eclipse – GitHub Copilot on Eclipse
  2.  > 
  3. General Discussion
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

davidmichaelkarr
    Participant

I’ve been examining the capabilities of copilot in vscode, and I’m wondering how particular actions available in that translate to copilot4eclipse.

For instance, in the “command windows” in vscode, you can ask copilot to make multiple changes at once in the entire source file, like “change all functions and variables to camel case”.

In the “Chat Window”, I see that there are some “/” commands, but nothing that directly applies to this. I can type something like that sample command in the chat window, and it will show me what the file would look like after that change, but in the chat window.

I do see that in the chat window, code blocks have an “insert at cursor” in editor action, so that’s a small shortcut.

Also, when examining completion choices, vscode allows all of the choices to be displayed in a separate window, so you can see all of them at the same time, and decide which one to accept. I don’t see anything like this in copilot4eclipse.

#701666 Reply

wayne

Hi David,

Good questions. Here is what we can share at this time:

> For instance, in the “command windows” in vscode, you can ask copilot to make multiple changes at once in the entire source file, like “change all functions and variables to camel case”.

Eclipse does not provide a VSCode text command style interface. Such a feature is not in scope for Copilot4Eclipse.

> I can type something like that sample command in the chat window, and it will show me what the file would look like after that change, but in the chat window.

We are working on a much improved integration of chat codeblocks with Eclipse active editor. We will share more details as soon as we are comfortable with the level of integration we can provide.

> Also, when examining completion choices, vscode allows all of the choices to be displayed in a separate window, so you can see all of them at the same time, and decide which one to accept. I don’t see anything like this in copilot4eclipse.

A Completions Panel has been on our internal todo list since the early inception of Copilot4Eclipse. But it has been a lower priority to the priority-1 features such as real-time inline completion and the Chat Panel. The recent v1.2 release is a major milestone for completing our fundamental P1 features. Going forward we are working on enhancing these features with deeper Eclipse integration.

I hope this is helpful for you and your teammates.

Wayne
    Copilot4Eclipse Team

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Does the plugin provide the “command window”?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in