facebook

ER Diagram is black & can’t save

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

testing2

OK, this is weird.

Eclipse 3.1M4, Windows XP, MyEclipse 3.8.4 – fresh installs of the latter, using 3.01 data. Database is HSQLDB.

The tables in the ER Diagram are all black, including text and background colour. If I move a table, the background colour changes to the nice manila colour, except the title background.

Even if I save as JPG, its all black. http://www.zooid.org/~vid/myeclipse/erdiagram.jpg

Is this due to using 3.1? I’d like to switch if possible.

Also, I’ve never been able to save ER Diagrams. Is this normal?

Thanks for the great work otherwise! (though I’d be ecstatic if refactoring worked in jsp files, different area I know).

#224562 Reply

Riyad Kalla

The ‘all black’ is a known problem with the Beta, you just have to navigate to Window > Preferences > MyEclipse > Database > ER Designer and change the colors, for some reason the default color preferences all defaulted to black with this release.

#224572 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Your database metadata is saved to the mer file you specified during creation automatically.
    Thereafter; if you move the nodes, change the routing etc. the editor will become dirty and you will be able to save the modified diagram.

Thank you for the compliments 🙂
    Brian.

#224812 Reply

testing2

It is still not “saving” the .mer file once it has changed. Every time I for example execute code it asks me if I want to save the .mer file. I say yes, but it asks me again next time even though nothing has changed. In fact, the .mer file doesn’t show up in the designated location, so I can’t recall it. This has been the behavior since 3.8.3/3.0.

Also, I can no longer connect to a database for .sql query files so can’t execute them. The database toolbar doesn’t show up under the file tab so I can’t associate a connection with the query. This is using Eclipse 3.1M4, it works under 3.0.

Thanks!

#224961 Reply

Brian Fernandes

I just verified that ER diagrams can be created and saved in our 3.8.4 beta for 3.1M4.
    Since you were experiencing the saving problem in 3.8.3 – there is most likely is some other issue.

When you create the ER Diagram – you are allowed to specify which folder it goes into and the file name. So what you’re saying is that the diagram is displayed but does not appear at that location?
    Can you verify that the location you are saving to is an Open project in the workspace? Create a dummy project and try that as a destination and maybe use a different schema or a database even and see if you can reproduce the problem with that.

Can you check your .log file for any errors you feel relevant and paste them here?

Please also include all infomation in Posting Guidelines as that will help us find out exactly what is going down.

Brian.

#224963 Reply

testing2

First off, regarding the sql connection bar, it only didn’t show up for one .sql file. If I switched to others, it shows up. I recreated the file and it shows up. Must be some weird metadata issue.

Regarding not saving the ER diagram, here’s the info about my environment:

windows xp, latest updates
    eclipse 3.1 M4
    myeclipse 3.8.4
    no other plugins
    java.runtime.version=1.4.2_06-b03

However, this also happened on my crufty old 3.01 install with multiple projects.

The steps I go through are:

1. go to database explorer perspective

2. open and expand database connection

3. right click on Default Catalog, create ER diagram

4. select output directory within project, enter filename (eg dbschema.mer)

5. edit diagram, save. File still has * asterisk

6. run appl. asked to save .mer file. say yes, it still has *

7. no evidence of saved file. using save has same result.

Do I need to be using a particular type of project?

Thanks!

#224966 Reply

Brian Fernandes

Thanks for the update on the connection bar.

Your steps are correct, looks like something is preventing the file from being written to disk.

You do [B]not[B] need any sort of special project to host a mer file, any open project will do. Chose a folder within the project where you are sure you have write access and that’s it.

This is certainly weird, can you try creating a fresh dummy project and using a different schema or database?

Also, please check for any exceptions logged in your .log file – that sould give us a clue why the save fails.

Brian.

#224968 Reply

testing2

Hi,

No sign of any problem in the .log file (hs_err_pid31096.log).

Just tried it in a new project, no luck.

I can give you vnc access if it helps, email me at vid_myeclipsevnc@zooid.org and I’ll set it up.

#224969 Reply

Brian Fernandes

I believe you are looking at the wrong log file 🙂
    Look in the .metadata directory under your active workspace directory. You will see a .log file there – that is where our logs go.
    It might help if you shut down eclipse, deleted this .log file and then created a new ER Diagram as per your steps mentioned above; that would only show up errors and exceptions involved during the process of creating the ER Diagram in the .log file.

Also, is it possible for you to try this out with another schema or database?

Hope this turns up some useful information,
    Brian.

#224971 Reply

testing2

OK, I did notice an exception was being generated. It was trying to access an old database that doesn’t exist any more. Not sure why it would do this as I wasn’t right clicking on that database.

However, I erased every reference to that database, restarted [my]eclipse and tried to generate the diagram again. No exception this time but still cannot save the file.

#227905 Reply

ckevinhill

We have 2 seperate installations of MyEclipse here with the same symptoms. ER diagrams generate no problem but the *.mer files can not be saved.

#227908 Reply

testing2

@ckevinhill wrote:

We have 2 seperate installations of MyEclipse here with the same symptoms. ER diagrams generate no problem but the *.mer files can not be saved.

I ended up doing a lot of non systematic environment changing but my problem went away. I am pretty sure it was due to an older version of hsql, but I ended up switching to Derby so cannot say for sure.

#227910 Reply

Brian Fernandes

testing2, thank you for responding to the query, glad you sorted out your problem.

Actually, it is highly unlikely that the problem was your Database system – saving is simple and independant of that; if there is a problem saving – it’s probably becuase of a file system issue, or a bug in the code which causes problems with saving.
    Q: did you manage to save the ER diagram for the same (or nearly the same) schema when you switched to Derby?

ckevinhill:
    Please let us know the exact configuration of both your eclipse installations and system(see forum posting guidelines for the necessary details)
    Also, do follow my instructions above to check the log file for any errrors that are logged when you click the save button.

Brian.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: ER Diagram is black & can’t save

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in