facebook

Feature request for Netbeans interoperability

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Matisse/Swing UI Development
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

sarikan
    Participant

Hi,
    I’ve tried to open my eclipse project in Netbeans, and the forms generated by Matisse4MyEclipse can be opened in Netbeans 6.1
    However it is not possible to go to eventhandlers in Netbeans, and this is due to way Netbeans handles this navigation. Netbeans uses the following comment format in source code so that the designer can navigate to event handler method:

private void jComboBox1ComponentAdded(java.awt.event.ContainerEvent evt) {//GEN-FIRST:event_jComboBox1ComponentAdded
    // TODO add your handling code here:
    }//GEN-LAST:event_jComboBox1ComponentAdded

The gen-first, gen-last comments are necessary for Netbeans to navigate to this code from the gui designer. I’d like to stay in MyEclipse and give my project to Netbeans users also, and even though I can write a plugin that’ll do the job, I’d really appreciate if you could tweak the code to this automatically.
    I’m a happy customer who just wants to stay in his favorite development environment, without forcing others to give up theirs. At the moment there is no free (as in beer) gui designer for eclipse 3.3 and above.
    I’d appreciate your response

Kind regards
    Seref

#290314 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Seref,

MyEclipse 6.5 and beyond’s version of Matisse4MyEclipse is based on the NetBeans 6.1 Matisse version. I just fired up MyEclipse and made a form, then opened it in NetBeans 6.1 and it saw the action method correctly associated with the component without the GEN notations used.

I then created a new action listener inside NetBeans 6.1 for another component, and got a new action method that again, didn’t use GEN markers to denote the action listener, more specifically:

private void jTextField1ActionPerformed(java.awt.event.ActionEvent evt) {
    // TODO add your handling code here:
    }

So I wasn’t able to reproduce the behavior of the GEN markers being used and using the two IDEs together seemed to work OK.

#290366 Reply

sarikan
    Participant

Here are my steps, with a little bit more detail and info:

On Ubuntu 7.1, I have MyEclipse 6.5 Pulse edition. I also have Netbeans 6.1 installed.
    I open MyEclipse, create a new project, and add a new Matisse Jframe or Application to the project. I put a button and a label in Eclipse, then create the event handler for actionperformed event of button in Eclipse.
    Then I close eclipse, and start netbeans. I use eclipse project import plugin to open Eclipse project in Netbeans, and I can open the form/application created in Eclipse.
    When I right click on the button, the context menu contains events and action submenu of it has actionperformed sub item.
    My problem is, when I click actionperformed subitem in the context menu in Netbeans designer, Netbeans does not switch to code of the event handler. Simply nothing happens.
    When I add the comments in eclipse to the event handler, I can go to code in Netbeans. If I copy and paste the form to another netbeans project, the same behavior stays, no switching to code via right click and context menu.
    Do we have different settings? I’d like to post my Netbeans project for you to test it, but appears the forum does not allow this. Are you using windows?
    I’d appreciate your help to get this resolve.

Kind regards
    Seref

#290540 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Seref,

Ahhh I see what you mean now, I was doing *everything* except the final navigation edit-click in NB when I was testing. My appologies, I’ll file this as a bug.

<strong>EDIT</strong>: Ok so I just did some more investigation and it looks like even when you use NetBeans 6.1 directly, in a new form, it doesn’t create those markers in the action handlers… it looks like the lack of event binding is caused by something else, not the GEN markers. I’ll file an issue for the dev team to look into this.

#290543 Reply

sarikan
    Participant

Hi,
    Netbeans 6.1 creates markers, just does not display them in the source. Using the eclipse import plugin for Netbeans 6.1, you can open a project both in netbeans 6.1 and myeclipse at the same time. As you work on each of them and switch to other, they will update the files automatically.
    I’ve successfully managed to get this navigation to code thing work by adding markers by hand from myeclipse java editor. There is still a minor glitch, the cursor does not end up at the exact correct location: but that’s a minor detail.
    Adding markers by hand works, just to let you know. Would you give me a pointer to bug-report if that’s public? I’d like to know the details if possible.
    Thanks for your interest in the matter.

Kind regards
    Seref

#290839 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Seref,

I appreciate the extra investigation, I”m adding your comments to the bug in our issue tracker (it’s a private internet tracker).

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Feature request for Netbeans interoperability

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in