facebook

How to import existing, non-eclipse project

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. General Development
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jebrick

I am new to Eclipse but old time J2EE developer. I have a project that the directory structure is set up with the J2EE Blueprints from Sun(http://java.sun.com/blueprints/code/projectconventions.html). This requires multiple, linked Ant build files. I would like to keep the ant build since it is set up to deploy to 2 different App servers based on targets. So far Eclipse seems to not like that directory structure for projects and does not like the miltiple, linked Ant files.

How would I import or bring in the file so that the directory stucture is preserved ( so i do not have to change the Ant files)?

Baring that, how do I set up a J2EE project to handle the Ant files?

Thanks,

#227690 Reply

tojx

Personally I think when integrating into eclipse in particular into myEclipse it’s best to lay out a new directory structure in ‘the eclipse way’.
    Eclipse and myEclipse are very good with handling the different projects and deploying them to an application server.

If you still want to keep your existing directory structure you could probably just set up a new J2EE enterprise project in myEclipse and copy all the existing stuff into that directory manually.

You’d then need to specify your source directories (right click on project, choose ‘properties’ and select the tab ‘Build Path’, there you can configure one or many source directories).

To use existing ant build files, go to the properties again, select ‘builders’ and add a new ‘ant build’. I recommend turning off the automatic build (in the main menu under ‘project’ deselect ‘build automatically’)

But using all this you couldn’t use the nice deploy features of myEclipse …

#227691 Reply

jebrick

If you still want to keep your existing directory structure you could probably just set up a new J2EE enterprise project in myEclipse and copy all the existing stuff into that directory manually.

Thanks for the reply.

This does not work because of the directory structure and how Eclipse wants it.

I’ve decided to go the second route and make a new project and import the files into it.

I still need to deploy to 2 different app servers ( Orion and WebSphere). Right now I can do it with Ant. Any other suggestions for using Eclipse/MyEclipse to do a build? The Orion build is my local AppServer but when I deploy to an offical test I go to a WebSphere. Is it possible to set MyEclipse to do the Orion build and deploy automaticly and use the Ant files to build the WS ear when needed?

#227694 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Is it possible to set MyEclipse to do the Orion build and deploy automaticly and use the Ant files to build the WS ear when needed?

Absolutely, just setup the Orion connector under Windows > Prefs > MyEclipse > App Servers, and then use our deployment tool to setup a deployment TO that app server. If you use an exploded deployment then your changes will be hot synced with the server every time you make one (save a file, it is hotsynced, etc.)

Then when you are ready to deploy to production, just run your Ant script.

#227721 Reply

jebrick

@support-rkalla wrote:

Absolutely, just setup the Orion connector under Windows > Prefs > MyEclipse > App Servers, and then use our deployment tool to setup a deployment TO that app server. If you use an exploded deployment then your changes will be hot synced with the server every time you make one (save a file, it is hotsynced, etc.)

A question for this. When I set this up it give me a deployment directory of applications-autodeploy and it is uneditable. Since this is wrong I would like to change it to just applications. I can not find anything in the preferences that allow me to do this.

A work around is to change Orion’s config file to point to a directory named application-autodeploy. This is an last resort since rather than changing it at one point (MyEclipse) I must change Orion confi files plus Ant files and everyone on the team must do the same thing for their local Orion servers.

Where can I change this and if I can not where can I submit a bug for this because it is unacceptable for the tool to do this.

#227729 Reply

Riyad Kalla

A question for this. When I set this up it give me a deployment directory of applications-autodeploy and it is uneditable. Since this is wrong I would like to change it to just applications. I can not find anything in the preferences that allow me to do this.

If you are SURE this is a wrong directory you can use a “Custom Location” deployment. Although please note that for each app server and depending on the deployment type (packaged versus exploded) the deployment dir might be different.

#227746 Reply

jebrick

@support-rkalla wrote:

If you are SURE this is a wrong directory you can use a “Custom Location” deployment. Although please note that for each app server and depending on the deployment type (packaged versus exploded) the deployment dir might be different.

Even using the custom location it want to erase the directory. How about something as simple as build the .ear file and put it in this directory.

And yes I’m sure about the directory. I’ve use Orion app server for 5 years now and I know I can hot deploy into the ORION_HOME/applications directory.

It seems easier at this point just to change all of the Orion config files if I want this to work within the IDE. I do not like changing server settings because an IDE is not flexable enough.

Thank you for your help.

#227749 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I do not like changing server settings because an IDE is not flexable enough.

We agree, you shouldn’t have to, this is one of *the* biggest changest that will occur with MyEclipse 5.0. We are ripping out all the App Server/Deployment/Project Setup stuff and replacing with this totally flexible module-based approach. We appologize for this crappy hold over from our first versions but we needed to strategically plan such a big change because we will effectively be replacing the core of MyEclipse, hardly a small task.

If you can change the Orion configs temporarily until 5.0 is released (late August) then let us know early on if it is doing what you needed it to do that might be a way to go. I wish I had a better suggestion at this point.

I’ve use Orion app server for 5 years now and I know I can hot deploy into the ORION_HOME/applications directory.

Sorry, from your post I wasn’t able to determine your level of experience with Orion.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: How to import existing, non-eclipse project

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in