facebook

How to integrate Winmerge with MyEclipse?

1. MyEclipse IDE
  2.  > 
  3. Installation, Configuration & Updates
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

arees

Hi all,

I have seen MyEclipse setup so that when there is a conflict when doing a CVS update, Winmerge is automatically opened to allow a manual merge. But I have done a clean install and can’t work out how to set this up.

Can anyone help?

Alex

#242912 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Alex,
    What you are asking doesn’t deal with any MyEclipse features. The CVS functionality is provided by the JDT’s team features. That being said, if you check in the JDT’s newsgroup on how to integrate a 3rd party application I’m sure they can help. I have no experience with this as I find the default CVS functionality more than enough for the work we do. (the graphical diff/merging in Eclipse is quite nice, do you really find winmerge better?)

#242955 Reply

arees

Well, any merge tool would be good – I didn’t know eclipse had a built in merge tool?

Basically, this is what I want:

When there are conflicts in a merge, the file is indicated by a red icon in the team syncronization pane. Then when you try to manually do a CVS update, I want it to pop up with a merge tool so I can manually do the merge. At the moment, I’m having to use Tortoise CVS, find the file on my hard drive, and then merge it that way using winmerge plugged in to Tortoise CVS.

Any suggestions of a better method would be greatly appretiated!

#242956 Reply

Riyad Kalla

Give the Eclipse CVS functionality a try, it’s quite nice and all integrated. I believe you need to check the project out inside of Eclipse so it knows it’s a team project, then right click and check under the Team menu.

#243215 Reply

arees

I’m using the integrated CVS functionality. How do I get the integrated merge tool to open?

#243216 Reply

Riyad Kalla

I believe you can execute a Diff against a file and the repository version. You can also see conflicts by doing:

Team > Synchronize

This is the best view, tells you all the outgoing changes, incomming changes and then all the conflicts. THe conflicted files you can open in a diff tool and merge manually.

#243283 Reply

arees

@support-rkalla wrote:

This is the best view, tells you all the outgoing changes, incomming changes and then all the conflicts. THe conflicted files you can open in a diff tool and merge manually.

Yes, this is exactly the problem. How do I open a diff tool from within MyEclipse?

At the moment, if MyEclipse fails to do the merge, I have to find the file on my C drive and use Winmerge to do the merge.

#243284 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Yes, this is exactly the problem. How do I open a diff tool from within MyEclipse?

When you do the sync, the Synchronize View will show all incoming and outgoing modifications. For files with both (a conflict), a red double-pointed arrow will be shown. Double-click the file in the Synchronnize View and the Eclipse merge tool will be launched so that you can manually merge.

#243331 Reply

arees

OK, the problem must actually be with my CVS syncronisation then. When I double click a file with a conflict, I get an error “The server reported and error while doing the CVS update command”. What’s strange, is it has no problems on other commits or updates. It only has problems when there are conflicts – which is why I presumed there was a problem with the merge tool.

#243350 Reply

arees

Might this be something to do with the fact I’m using the 30 day trial version?

I can’t do any comparisons with the CVS head – it always says “The server reported and error while doing the CVS update command”. All the other CVS functionality seems to work fine except for doing comparisons.

#243391 Reply

Scott Anderson
    Participant

Might this be something to do with the fact I’m using the 30 day trial version?

No, that wouldn’t have any impact. The CVS tools are a basic Eclipse platform feature. It’s more likely that your CVS server isn’t fully supported by Eclipse’s CVS client. Here’s the compatibility list from the Eclipse.org website.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
Reply To: How to integrate Winmerge with MyEclipse?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in