facebook

How to update derby server to new version?

1. MyEclipse Archived
  2.  > 
  3. Database Tools (DB Explorer, Hibernate, etc.)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

zuegel

Hello

I have the exact same problem as described in How to update derby server to new version? but this time I use MyEclipse 7.0 and the previous posted solution does not work since MyEclipse seems to overwrite the jar’s at startup.

So here we go again:
    How can I use the built-in MyEclipse Derby Server with a newer version than the one provided?

Thank you.

#296222 Reply

Brian Fernandes

zuegel,

I would not recommend updating the internal version of Derby, is there any particular reason why you want to do this?

I would instead recommend that you simply install another version of Derby on your system, start that manually (it is pretty simple) and create a new Derby driver that connects to this installation.

At the same time, we will discuss internally the possibility of upgrading the embedded version of MyEclipse Derby for a future release.

#296264 Reply

zuegel

Brian,

Thank you for your reply.

I need to run an updated version of the server, it’s a project requirement.

Installing and running a standalone derby server is not a problem, in fact it’s how I ran the server the last days. It’s just that I find the possibility to run the server from within Eclipse a very convenient tool and I got used to that in other projects.

Imho the possibility to choose a version for the server (by selecting the according jar maybe) would be better than just to upgrade the embedded version.

Btw I was able to run the server with an upgraded version by replacing the jar’s in \configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\bundles\.cp\lib with the upgraded ones. But they get overwritten when I restart Eclipse. Maybe you could point me to where they get copied from?

Thank you
    zuegel

#296271 Reply

Brian Fernandes

zuegel,

You need to locate the com.genuitec.eclipse.derby plugin. If you expand this you will see a lib folder with the Derby jars. If you replace those, it should work.

I have not tried the above, nor do we recommend this, so you are on your own if you want to go down this path.

It’s just that I find the possibility to run the server from within Eclipse a very convenient tool and I got used to that in other projects. Imho the possibility to choose a version for the server (by selecting the according jar maybe) would be better than just to upgrade the embedded version.

I’m glad you like this capability, we will consider your suggestion as well.

Please let me know how it goes.

#296275 Reply

zuegel

Brian,

Yep. That works fine. I replaced the jar’s in the lib dir of the plugin jar. Now, when I run the server from within Eclipse it runs on the new version.

It’s what I tried from the beginning but I got confused with the different dirs and jar’s from different MyEclipse versions.

I find that a bit annoying anyway: Since MyEclipse 7 I have to dig around several dirs to find plugins and features and they are now packed in jar’s. Before that, my team was able to copy ONE folder and work with the same Eclipse configuration. But maybe that’s another topic.

Cheers
    zuegel

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: How to update derby server to new version?

You must be logged in to post in the forum log in